Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: space bar is inconsistent.....

space bar is inconsistent.....

heard someone else mention this as well, only seems to be when i am on this site...Anyone else??
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

2. Site Sponsor

Re: space bar is inconsistent.....

yep i am getting the same issue, not all the time though

You are not alone. It has something to do with the auto correct and auto save I believe. This is the only site I have issues with. My sentence usually ends up missing letters. Workingok today. till ow.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Mine doesn't have issues till the auto save kicks in now. Then space bar and a whole bunch of things go missing. So the auto save is active now and still no issues. hmmm waiting
    Now the auto save isfunctioing and things start to goaol(go awol). Makes for an interesting sentence.
    So I us inenet explorer...hooped again
    Last edited by tigrr; 11-23-2016 at 01:55 PM.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

it happened to me a few days ago but I thought I must have leaned on the keyboard and caused it...I just exited out (cancel button) of the quick reply box and reopened it and the space bar worked again

As a quick work around, highlight a "space" from a thread you're responding to. Cut and paste it into you thread. Now you'll be able to use your space bar.

It doesn't fix the problem but it helps you deal with the issue.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    As a quick work around, highlight a "space" from a thread you're responding to. Cut and paste it into you thread. Now you'll be able to use your space bar.

It doesn't fix the problem but it helps you deal with the issue.
    Someone in the other thread mentioned when going to reply click on "Go Advanced" and that may alleviate the problem.

It's also a problem on a couple of other vBulletin forums on which I participate.

Sometimes it happens and other times it does not. It is more common for it to creep in with the Quick Reply, and more often than not is corrected with the advanced reply.

I recall finding a thread on a vBulletin user forum that has a mountain of information about the various iterations of the problem. It's a bit of struggle to read through all the jargon but there is some low-hanging fruit:

This one tidbit from a developer sheds some light on the problem (if one is using Chrome):

"Just to manage expectations - this is almost certainly an incompatibility between new versions of Chrome and the now quite old version of CKEditor that vBulletin 4 uses as its message editor.

There is no development work on vB4 now, as it is not the current product. The only work being done is php compatibility, any security issues that come up, and a handful of very minor bug fixes. Development work is focused on vB5.

Replacing the version of CKEditor in vB4 would be a major undertaking, requiring months of developer and QA time. I'm afraid that is not likely to happen."

Probably the best bet for any users affected is to get them to switch to the text-only editor ('source mode) instead of the WYSIWYG. They can do this in their user settings.

Depends on which browser I use.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD_83 View Post
    It's also a problem on a couple of other vBulletin forums on which I participate.

Sometimes it happens and other times it does not. It is more common for it to creep in with the Quick Reply, and more often than not is corrected with the advanced reply.

I recall finding a thread on a vBulletin user forum that has a mountain of information about the various iterations of the problem. It's a bit of struggle to read through all the jargon but there is some low-hanging fruit:

This one tidbit from a developer sheds some light on the problem (if one is using Chrome):

"Just to manage expectations - this is almost certainly an incompatibility between new versions of Chrome and the now quite old version of CKEditor that vBulletin 4 uses as its message editor.

There is no development work on vB4 now, as it is not the current product. The only work being done is php compatibility, any security issues that come up, and a handful of very minor bug fixes. Development work is focused on vB5.

Replacing the version of CKEditor in vB4 would be a major undertaking, requiring months of developer and QA time. I'm afraid that is not likely to happen."

Probably the best bet for any users affected is to get them to switch to the text-only editor ('source mode) instead of the WYSIWYG. They can do this in their user settings.
    Let's just hope Marc doesn't migrate to vBull v5. They did it on a BC fishing forum....and ended up dumping vBull altogether as it was a huge mess in the conversion, functionality etc. They migrated to Xenforo which is a great platform.

On a side note for you guys experiencing problems, what browser are you using? Is it Explorer, MS Edge, Chrome, Firefox, mobile browsers?