Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: initiate looking for hunter Victoria

initiate looking for hunter Victoria

Ive fished all my life but never hunted. I've looked into an initiate hunters license but I have nobody to show me the ropes. I'm 29 year old male in the trade industry and live in victoria. If you're in the area I'd love to set something up and chat then maybe go from there.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: initiate looking for hunter Victoria

Best place to start is to get your CORE course done so you can legally hunt. You will learn a lot about hunting and legal methods before you actually get into the bush. Lots of new hunters on the forum (me included) and lots of great info.

Good luck!

Yep, get your core, get your PAL and get at it.
    you are living in a place that is extremely difficult to hunt. find someone at your work that does, if your a tradesman there will be a few of them!

You are not the first guy to come here knowing nothing, and if you do the two things that have been said and get out there, then ask questions here.. you will not be the first to succeed either. Forums like this,, people start to see when someone is new and really trying, and people will give you some pretty good help ..........

Quote Originally Posted by Objectivity1958 View Post
    Ive fished all my life but never hunted. I've looked into an initiate hunters license but I have nobody to show me the ropes. I'm 29 year old male in the trade industry and live in victoria. If you're in the area I'd love to set something up and chat then maybe go from there.
    I was in the same boat a couple years ago, got my PAL and CORE. If you can, do the CORE with Murray Killshaw and Robin Pike, I learned more in that course with them than I did in the months preceding it scouring forums and reading books, they really want you to succeed.

I actually met a couple people in the course I went out hunting with a few times as well. But basically, me and hunting partner had no mentors, just got out on weekends (not every weekend) and have bagged 5 bucks and 3 bears between us in the past 3 years. That being said having someone to show us the ropes probably would have made life easier, but doing it solo is a good learning experience, and you'll certainly learn some lessons (I know I've got a hell of a long ways to go still).

That being said, 20 bucks to try it out for two weeks before you commit isn't a horrible idea if you can track someone down to take you along.

I appreciate the advice.

Echo what 835 and Steveo said. I too was a new hunter a few years back, no mentor. We just did what Steveo said, got out and hunted and learned lessons as we went. 2 moose, 2 bears and 3 deer later is say we're getting the hang of it. Put some effort in on your own and people will be happy to answer questions.
    Last edited by Fella; 11-24-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo9I1_ View Post

That being said, 20 bucks to try it out for two weeks before you commit isn't a horrible idea if you can track someone down to take you along.
    This is what i was hoping for. Finding someone sympathetic to the cause who could take me out for a weekend or a week and let me use their equipment shoot a buck on their license and experience everything, then I can decide if its something I would persue.

or just tag along to go through the experience, only diff would be who shoots the gun, and realy isnt what this is about, im sure you`d still get a sample of meat to try.
    just another thought, incase people dont want to give up a tag?

Quote Originally Posted by Objectivity1958 View Post
    and let me use their equipment shoot a buck on their license and experience everything, .
    This hear is the problem statement. it is not that simple, you don't just go out there and shoot a deer. Island Blacktails are not that easy.... I am 41 been hunting here all my life, this year I have around 14 days in and I have not shot a deer yet. Dont take this wrong, I am just stating the fact, and it is the same fact that I had to beat into my Buddy who started hunting at 40 with me.

I totally appreciate the idea you have and 110% support you. but honestly, unless you have someone you know who can do what your asking... you'd be better off just getting to it.
    CORE and PAL are not super expensive to get... after that a Savage AXIS is under 500$ ready to roll.... and if you don't like hunting you can sell it for the same money damned near....
    Then while you do all this, keep posting here and asking questions. People will get to know you, and then might get you out...

keep doing what your doing in this thread for sure, but don't let this stop you from progress is all im saying....

I've been hunting the island for 3 years, some of my spots are a 7-10 k hike in and I haven't shot a blacktail yet. They're called grey ghosts for a reason. You're lucky if you even see anything bigger than a small spike some days.