Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too old for archery?

Re: Too old for archery?

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Shit i wish i was 40 again
    Few more years and you can be 40 twice......

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Are you kidding, 40 is the new 20, what's holding you back ?

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

so much fun as small game and a old stick bow rabbits and grouse never too old to try anything whoo ahhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Tunch View Post
    Hey all. I am looking for a new hobby to take up. Ice Hockey used to be my thing but after a serious ankle injury my days on the ice are now a thing of the past. For obvious reasons I am interested in in non-impact sports which is why I am considering archery. I have always been interested in it as my cousin has been involved for years and we have often talked about together at family get togethers. I have never had time in the past to get involved unfortunately due to my hockey involvement but fate has played it's hand and as one door closes another one opens. Now I should add that I am nearing 40 but I'm hoping and assuming that age isn't a barrier to entering this sport on an amateur level. What are others thoughts on this? Am I right in my assumption? I've been having a look around at archery bows for sale online as I think that is definitely the type of bow that would most interest me. It has a certain romance about it (don't laugh!) Anyway, I thought I'd just put my thoughts out there. If anybody has any pointers or advice they'd like to share i'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance.
    Quick question guys. I found this longbow for sale online. It is bespoke and made of hickory. I would love to own and use something of this elk, but is it advisable as a beginner to start out with a bow like this? Or would it be more suited to a more experienced user?

Last edited by Tunch; 11-27-2016 at 09:42 PM.

You will certainly gain a lot of knowledge using that bow. If I said brace height, finger tab, bow square would you know what I mean? You will if you buy that bow. The trads like bows like that, most of us have moved on to modern contraptions.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by okas View Post
    never too old to try anything whoo ahhhh
    Unless its 24 hour ironman multiple marathons competitions against 20 year olds.......

A lot of the old D shaped long bows have a certain amount of hand shock when you shoot them. I would get one that has more reflex/deflex design, they shoot much better and with more zip.

Quick question guys. I found this longbow for sale online. It is bespoke and made of hickory. I would love to own and use something of this elk, but is it advisable as a beginner to start out with a bow like this? Or would it be more suited to a more experienced user?

In my humble opinion…...

You should try and get to a club or a REPUTABLE store with some knowledge and willingness to support traditional archery. If you can't do that, call Lancaster archery stateside, whilst not ideal and not supporting local, they do fine work supporting the sport and have that reputation to uphold!

Buying something like this online and you good be getting utter shite that shoots horribly and will likely have way too much weight and too short a life with zero flexibility.

Sorry to sound like a stuck record but get out there and find and meet archers, join a club and shoot their bows, go along to a shoot and mingle (archers are not usually anything but welcoming) the learning curve will be way easier and you'll do far better, quicker

Consider a cheaper recurve at the beginning with options of extra limbs for working up in weight, getting over bowed from the get go is very bad, technique (form) is everything.

IF - you are dead set on a bow like this, contact Jamie at Ravenbeak and do his course and make your own otherwise I would be nervous about shoot one of these.

Little story for you about self bows…..

There is a guy here in BC, an older gentleman whom I always like to see out and he is a wicked shot, well this year at the TBBC, he was shooting a self bow (scored 365 on the first day too!) and he was shooting his fourth choice as his previous 3 had broken on him in the weeks leading up to it.

Pretty sure he made his own so no great shakes but still…….. that's how easily you could end up bow less!

Thanks for the advice guys. You're totally right in saying that I would be best served to get myself along to a club. I'll look into that this week.

Thanks for the advice guys. You're totally right in saying that I would be best served to get myself along to a club. I'll look into that this week.
    Whereabouts are you?