Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too old for archery?

Too old for archery?

Hey all. I am looking for a new hobby to take up. Ice Hockey used to be my thing but after a serious ankle injury my days on the ice are now a thing of the past. For obvious reasons I am interested in in non-impact sports which is why I am considering archery. I have always been interested in it as my cousin has been involved for years and we have often talked about together at family get togethers. I have never had time in the past to get involved unfortunately due to my hockey involvement but fate has played it's hand and as one door closes another one opens. Now I should add that I am nearing 40 but I'm hoping and assuming that age isn't a barrier to entering this sport on an amateur level. What are others thoughts on this? Am I right in my assumption? I've been having a look around at archery longbows for sale online as I think that is definitely the type of bow that would most interest me. It has a certain romance about it (don't laugh!) Anyway, I thought I'd just put my thoughts out there. If anybody has any pointers or advice they'd like to share i'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Tunch; 11-25-2016 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typo

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Too old for archery?

Good morning Tunch, age is certainly not a barrier , I know of two in their 80`s longbow men and one is boyer . A visit to a local club or store will establish a good learning draw weigh (30-40 lbs) and a selection of used bows . New Samiks are reasonly priced and approach quality bow specs .
    Attend 3-d events for an exposure to whats out there . Abby Indoor has everything .
    Most important , menter up , stick to basics , emulate good archers and practice . A 10-15 yd range in garage or hallway is priceless
    Would like to post more but this 77 year old is busy packing up for archery hunt , leaving in the morn for Rock Ck .
    One last thing, A mixture of seriousness and enjoyment is the recipe for advancing your skills .
    Cheers and good luck with your "Longbow " adventure .
    Last edited by greybark; 11-22-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

i didnt start till almost 50.

I started in my 60s . I started with a recurve and now shooting a compound .
    my advice is try different bows before deciding on one type ,it can be expensive .

Started in my 50's now 64... One piece of advise I have to offer is to start out with a low draw weight. Regardless of age all new archers need to slowly build up back muscles. You might consider buying a used and less expensive bow in the 20 - 30 pound draw weight then move up to a better new bow as you gain comfort and confidence. You can always sell off the first bow and get back most of what you paid for it.

I'd also highly recommend joining the BC Archery Association and taking some beginner lessons!

Great hobby!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

40? Really, you should give it all up and just play dominos and complain about how good things used to be!

It's no age, lots of different archery disciplines to dabble in and enjoy.

To echo what Mr Hermit said, get lessons, join a club and meet archers, (ironically) the internet is not really the place to get solid advice as you have to get through the chaff and find who actually know what they are talking about (I can personally vouch for Mr Greybark, we have filled the air with much bullshit together at shoots!) but you know what I'm trying to say…… but especially important if traditional is your fancy, lots of good 'uns about this province to help you out but my number one recommendation would try and get some quality mentorship (and join a club, help keep fresh blood coming in)

Thanks for all the warm words of encouragement folks. They have definitely helped put any doubts I had to rest. And I'll be taking all your advice into account.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    One piece of advise I have to offer is to start out with a low draw weight. Regardless of age all new archers need to slowly build up back muscles. You might consider buying a used and less expensive bow in the 20 - 30 pound draw weight then move up to a better new bow as you gain comfort and confidence. You can always sell off the first bow and get back most of what you paid for it.
    Particularly good advice.Thanks Hermit.

Never mind lessons. Just turn up to a place that archers attend
    and express an interest. You will get enough advise for free and probably a few offers of bows to boot. If you're close to Kamloops check out the KTSA website for a place to shoot
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Shit i wish i was 40 again

I am 68 and shoot 3-D every chance I get, I have 2 longbows and an ILF recurve bow at the moment, down from about 8 a year ago. It is a great sport, get out there and enjoy it. Don't over bow yourself. get a bow you can dominate and learn good form. Cheers Roscoe