Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Hunters - where to go advise

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Re: New Hunters - where to go advise

Quote Originally Posted by VirgilOfTheWoods View Post
    Downtown - how would I go about finding the CO for a region?

I did some Googling and searching on the gov.bc.ca site and couldn't find regions specific contact info.
    A---Open current Hunting regulation.

B---You find CO services printed on the first page for each Region.

C---Make appointment.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Big one for new hunters to understand it's not so much about the location it is the small pockets within the location.

This is why many preach get out and scout because sometimes being a 100yards off the mark is the difference between seeing game and seeing nothing. This is why you will meet hunters who connect every year in areas most see nothing. That hunter knows the area well
    So, rookie question: what do these "pockets" look like? I've hiked around region 2 and a bit in 3-30/5-1 and keep getting ghosted.

If your scouting go slow and read the ground....follow game trails into the deep bush...especally in region 2....and look for old growth...this will help you find some trails....scouting "your"area can be way more productive then driving all over a mountain and only learning the logging road.

First thing when looking for pockets would be game trails and sign. Like rubs, poops, evidence of feeding, sheds, etc. Then if you happen to bump critters while scouting. If you find this then try setting up a game camera and then you can really get an idea of what's in the area.
    Good luck.
    One of the things I love most about hunting is the strategy of the hunt.

Awesome, thanks a lot guys!

I find a lot of well used game trails while hunting early season for grouse and hares just off the road. When I'm out cruising fsr's, I look for small clearings 25-50yds into the bush or small creeks that meander down from above. Get familiar with using your compass, gps and flagging tape, you're gonna need those skills to get back to your vehicle. Once you find a heavily used trail, droppings, rubs and broken branches, your on the right track. Slowly creep those trails as far up as they go, you'll find more times than not they go up into some prime deer territory. Thick stands of sparse timber will turn into alpine bowls and ridges.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.