Thread: Old Vr Young

Old Vr Young

For all you season hunters say more then 5 deer, Have you found a favour difference in a spikier vr a 4 point? and same for location / environment lowland vr highland ?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Old Vr Young

I find a doe usually tastes better than a buck, especially a buck in the rut. I have had a big buck taken on a wine vineyard in the OK, thing had been grapes and man he was tasty. I find the younger ones to be more tender and usually taste a bit better. I think the big bucks taste fine, sometimes you just have to be good at cooking them.

Early season no difference. During the rut a spike tastes much better than a rutted up 4 pointer. At least in my experience with black tails.

High up to low ground, no difference in region 2 in my experience. Again might be different in say an area like Kamloops. Sage feeding deer lower down verses lush grasses, etc. fed higher up.

I like whit tale doe ! My sun shot his first 2x2 mule on opening day of youth and by far the most tender and mild tasting deer ever.
    Last edited by limit time; 11-20-2016 at 11:23 AM.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Young WT's taste best IMO...

Great info so far!! I have only shot a 2 point and its flavour is great. My wife has fallen in love with deer meat!!!!

X2 on the white tail and elk don't matter what size or gender

remember that more than sex or species, care of your meat (get it drained of blood, cleaned of guts and hair and hung to cool asap) will determine how good it is as tablerfare IMHO

They all taste great as long as you do your part to ensure the quality. Also check around with what chefs are doing with farmed meat and try and apply the methods to wild game. You'd be surprised what you can accomplish with time and creativity.

Happy eating !