Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BC Breeders - GWP, DD, Pudelpointer... other versatiles?

Re: BC Breeders - GWP, DD, Pudelpointer... other versatiles?

Hey, a bit off topic but I have a PP puppy and she's amazing had her on pheasants this weekend. I started a thread gauging interest in a NAVHDA Chapter. Jump over there and let me know if anyone is interested!

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Thought I would post a quick update... have a deposit on a male DD pup out of a very good breeder in Ontario.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    Awesome!!
    If you need any help with your dog give me a shout....I always have time to talk dogs!!

Rainer
    How are the DD's with cold weather tolerance, and are they quite light shedders?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post
    How are the DD's with cold weather tolerance, and are they quite light shedders?
    I think it depends on the breeding. A guy that I have been bird hunting with this winter has a male DD with a fairly thick coat on his belly compared to my female griff but when they're both in the blind I don't see one of them shivering more than the other if they ever do. They can definitely handle the cold because they have a good undercoat,,,,same as griffs.

Same as shedding. Depends on the breeding. Some shed a lot while others shed very little. Once again, same as griffs. Mine sheds very little but I hear of some that shed so much that you could make another dog.

My buddy's DD up front wearing a 5mm vest, my griff at the back wearing a 3mm:

0-28 by Brent Davy, on Flickr
    Last edited by mastercaster; 01-06-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I think it depends on the breeding. A guy that I have been bird hunting with this winter has a male DD with a fairly thick coat on his belly compared to my female griff but when they're both in the blind I don't see one of them shivering more than the other if they ever do. They can definitely handle the cold because they have a good undercoat,,,,same as griffs.

Same as shedding. Depends on the breeding. Some shed a lot while others shed very little. Once again, same as griffs. Mine sheds very little but I hear of some that shed so much that you could make another dog.

My buddy's DD up front wearing a 5mm vest, my griff at the back wearing a 3mm:

0-28 by Brent Davy, on Flickr
    Thanks for the reply! Nice looking dogs. What region were you hunting in the winter? I spend most of my time in the fall further south in bc, however, often travel up north during the winter so trying to find a breed that can handle -20 weather without issue.
    Also, what are the main differences you notice between your griff and the dd? Do you guys use them to point or flush birds? Ever had her out deer hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Nice looking dogs. What region were you hunting in the winter? I spend most of my time in the fall further south in bc, however, often travel up north during the winter so trying to find a breed that can handle -20 weather without issue.
    Also, what are the main differences you notice between your griff and the dd? Do you guys use them to point or flush birds? Ever had her out deer hunting?
    For waterfowl we have just been hitting spots in the lower mainland and it hasn't been all that cold on average. There was a couple days, though, where the temps were zero or less. If the dog isn't going to be in the water they could handle -20. You could always put a vest on them if you were worried but I'm sure thy'd be just fine.

On average DDs are larger than griffs, more sharp, and range a little further. Both dogs are pointers and retrieve equally well on water or land. Griffs tend to be more social and really good around kids. I hear they're more sensitive than DDs but I haven't noticed that with my dog. She's no more sensitive than either of my brittany spaniels were. DD's aren't sensitive so I've been told. You can Force Fetch either dog without any issues but you may not have to because they enjoy retrieving. Some griffs do get bored with repetition when training but mine doesn't seem to. She loves to do tasks/drills, especially if treats are involved.

I'd like to get to the point where I could turn my dog off and take her deer hunting with me as a companion so she could just walk or heel beside me. She's been with me a lot when I've scouted areas or road hunting but I tend to get the majority of my deer when I'm on foot. haven't had to use her yet to locate any animals but I'd like her to be able to do that. She sure was good at keeping this grizzly out of our camp in Cranbrook last year. Anytime it got within smelling distance the dog would light up like a Christmas tree bark and hollering like mad.

I don't think you could go wrong with either breed but if you have to spend a fair bit of time leaving them on their own the DDs are better for that. Lots of popl will kennel thm outside during the day,,,,,griffs don't like that. Griffs really get attached to their owners .
    Last edited by mastercaster; 01-06-2019 at 11:45 PM.

@mastercaster,you are generalizing!
    DDs especially don't like to be left alone as much as any other Versatile Hunting breed,some of the DDs are sensitive although their demeanor might not show it.When it comes to ranging,which is strictly a trained ability and personally it doesn't matter what breed it is, what matter is the control you have over your dog.Any of my DDs will work at the distance they are allowed to work,you can have them search 20yds in front of you in the thickets or 200yds in the open.
    Anybody that thinks of getting a Versatile Hunting dog and not commiting a lot of time in training and using these dogs is better off getting a more laid back breed.

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    @mastercaster,you are generalizing!
    DDs especially don't like to be left alone as much as any other Versatile Hunting breed,some of the DDs are sensitive although their demeanor might not show it.When it comes to ranging,which is strictly a trained ability and personally it doesn't matter what breed it is, what matter is the control you have over your dog.Any of my DDs will work at the distance they are allowed to work,you can have them search 20yds in front of you in the thickets or 200yds in the open.
    Anybody that thinks of getting a Versatile Hunting dog and not commiting a lot of time in training and using these dogs is better off getting a more laid back breed.
    You're right,,,,purely anecdotal based on what I've read and the ones that I've seen. As mentioned, I keep hearing how griffs are very sensitive dogs and have to be trained as such. Sure hasn't been the case with mine. And as you mentioned, just about every dog's performance comes down to how it's been trained. Griffs supposedly are closer working dogs than other versatiles according to the literature but they can definitely be trained to be further ranging dogs.

Versatiles definitely aren't for everybody. The two friends that I have who own both labs and griffs say the griffs have three times the energy level of their labs and the labs are the younger dogs in both cases. Possibly another generalization, but versatiles in general seem to have boundless energy,,,,,more so than the dogs in the retriever group.

I think training any hunting dog takes a lot of commitment, especially if you plan on training it for upland, waterfowl, and tracking. Can't really take too many days off, can you?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post

I think training any hunting dog takes a lot of commitment, especially if you plan on training it for upland, waterfowl, and tracking. Can't really take too many days off, can you?

Personally,there is no time off,I hunt my dogs every day......the only days off they get is if they are sore or recuperation time from strenuous days in the field.
    I see many of the HPR breeds in Rescue places and the story is almost always the same....the owner didn't realize what it takes to keep those dogs stimulated and entertained throughout the year or failed to train the dog due to lack of knowledge or too proud to seek help.The result is a unmanageable dog with endless energy and drive.For the" once in a blue moon hunter"the working line hunting dogs of Germany is not the right breed.
    And also like the German Hunting terriers,mentioned in some of the threads...people who try to convince others of this breed either never owned one or are full of crap to think they would do well in a mostly non hunting environment.