Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BC Breeders - GWP, DD, Pudelpointer... other versatiles?

Re: BC Breeders - GWP, DD, Pudelpointer... other versatiles?

Quote Originally Posted by selvir View Post
    Try Jagdterrier small, sheds minimal and great all around hunting dogs
    Sounds like the best dog for somebody relatively new to huntingdogs
    Did your pups parents do the Breedtests?

Do not want to hijack this thread, but there is a NAVHDA chapter which is up and running in Alberta. I might be checking them out this Spring, as they are starting training sessions and workshops in Februray. Good way for owners of versatile breeds to get some training in Canada, along with making some local contacts. Much easier for me to drive to Alberta than the U.S., and also do not have to worry about passport etc, along with paperwork for the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    Having several gwps and 3 dds I can tell you the difference is anything but minor....Drahthaars have a 100+years of selective breeding, character and performance...and it shows especially in the cooperation department.
    Agreed ....
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Thought I would post a quick update... have a deposit on a male DD pup out of a very good breeder in Ontario. Pups are about a week old now. If all goes well we should have him here mid April. Big thanks to you, Rainier for your time and advice. The kids and I are really excited looking forward to his arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Thought I would post a quick update... have a deposit on a male DD pup out of a very good breeder in Ontario. Pups are about a week old now. If all goes well we should have him here mid April. Big thanks to you, Rainier for your time and advice. The kids and I are really excited looking forward to his arrival.

Awesome!!
    If you need any help with your dog give me a shout....I always have time to talk dogs!!

Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Do you have to fly back there to pick him up or are they going to ship him to you? If it's a mid April delivery it kind of sounds like you're having to wait for the pup to be old enough (12 weeks) to ship. I'm getting an 8 week old WPG in 4 weeks but I have to go pick him up myself in Montreal. There goes the rest of my aeromiles! LOL

Yes, pup needs to spend some time with mom and sibs before being shipped via aircraft. There is a second pup going to Seattle so will split the shipping cost to YVR.
    I have been watching many gun dog training instruction videos... If there are certain ones you recommend, please suggest... I will take you up on a few phone calls Rainer, thx for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by levind View Post
    No pudelpointer breeder in BC. In Canada closest would be Alberta and Oregon in the u.s. no problems bringing over a puppy from the states. I got my pudelpointer from Oregon.
    Levind your PM box is full I would love to ask some PP questions

Cheers

Bubba

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    Sounds like the best dog for somebody relatively new to huntingdogs
    Did your pups parents do the Breedtests?
    Advising someone to have a Jagdterrier ,who is new to hunting, is like giving your kids a Formula 1 car, for their first vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by recondo View Post
    Advising someone to have a Jagdterrier ,who is new to hunting, is like giving your kids a Formula 1 car, for their first vehicle.
    Thus the frown at the end of his comment...