Thread: New Hunter - Looking for good access points for Hike-In in Chilliwack

New Hunter - Looking for good access points for Hike-In in Chilliwack

Hello Everyone!
    New hunter - just got my CORE in late October. I've been on two trips to Merritt / Logan Lake area looking for Mule deer. Found fresh sign/scat but alas didn't see any deer. Managed to come across a Grouse during stalk and made it dinner.

I've got a young family and the multi-days in Merritt are challenging. I live in Abbotsford and would like to spend some time on foot exploring areas in FVRD - in particular Chilliwack. Not looking for anyone to give up their secret spots, just a recommended FSR to gain access to a good hike-in spot. From what I've read, most of Chilliwack is over-run with weekend warrior ATV'ers.

Hoping that perhaps there are still some more remote valleys worth exploring by foot.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Hunter - Looking for good access points for Hike-In in Chilliwack

Quote Originally Posted by VirgilOfTheWoods View Post
    Hello Everyone!
    New hunter - just got my CORE in late October. I've been on two trips to Merritt / Logan Lake area looking for Mule deer. Found fresh sign/scat but alas didn't see any deer. Managed to come across a Grouse during stalk and made it dinner.

I've got a young family and the multi-days in Merritt are challenging. I live in Abbotsford and would like to spend some time on foot exploring areas in FVRD - in particular Chilliwack. Not looking for anyone to give up their secret spots, just a recommended FSR to gain access to a good hike-in spot. From what I've read, most of Chilliwack is over-run with weekend warrior ATV'ers.

Hoping that perhaps there are still some more remote valleys worth exploring by foot.
    Weekend warriors on ATV's won't bother you if you get off the road/trail and hike.

That's good to hear!

A good thing to remember about that area is that you aren't hunting mule deer, you're hunting blacktails which typically don't spend much time out in the open. Walk slowly thru the timber in areas where you find sign, and when I say slowly I mean you should see slugs moving faster than you.

Will keep that in mind. I'll do some reading on blacktails - sounds like a good challenge. Thanks for the advice Fella.

Quote Originally Posted by VirgilOfTheWoods View Post
    Will keep that in mind. I'll do some reading on blacktails - sounds like a good challenge. Thanks for the advice Fella.
    Look for older threads by a guy with the handle "pg66". That man shoots seriously massive blacktails and has good advice on here.