Thread: Deer populations in the Peace

Deer populations in the Peace

I'm curious what folks are observing for deer populations in the Dawson/Chetwynd/FSJ area. I know numbers are nowhere near the pre-2006 levels, but are the populations of mule and WT improving? Are there many trophy bucks coming out of the area still?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer populations in the Peace

I think they're about the same. But weird winter this year has animals moving around differently. Majority are on private land too.

I don't know about the other areas you mention, but I believe the mule deer in the FSJ area have rebounded somewhat. Quite a few mule deer does have twins and I have seen a couple of pretty nice bucks as well. We counted well over a hundred mule deer on a recent road trip from Fort St. John to Farrell Creek a couple of weeks ago, and yes they were mostly on private land, some of which will be flooded.

I'm out in progress and have seen a few bucks, and one ok one on my land. Waiting for this guy to show his face when the wife has her gun in hand!

Ground is god damn crunchy as hell though, so basically sitting, some calls, some scent. Just picked up a cheap decoy. See if that coaxes him out of the bush. He's been on the cameras a bunch, but I recently saw him with a doe so he might be hiding and getting his groove on.

Last edited by anethema; 11-16-2016 at 08:41 PM.