Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hunter first Grouse

New Hunter first Grouse

I just started hunting this September and I've only been out hunting grouse. I finally got my first one on the weekend! I was excited once I spotted it on the trail and got a shot at it. I'm using a 10/22 and got it right in the head so I thought it was gunna drop dead. After maybe 20 seconds it was done flapping around so I went to retrieve it from the bushes. I grabbed its legs and it flapped around and fell out of my hand and kept flapping on the ground. I didn't want it suffer and what I've read and seen people do on YouTube is grab it by the neck and swing it around so I did that and then set it back down. It flapped a couple times then stopped so I picked it up and brought it to the trail and then back to the truck. Im posting this cause it was my first kill and wondering if this is a typical way grouse die? And if anyone has any tips after I take my shot.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Hunter first Grouse

That's normal. It's nerves. Wings flap like crazy for a bit. if your not sure if its dead just step on its head to finish it off. Congrats on the grouse! some of the best meat out there!

yep when you shoot anything in the head it will dance around like that, especially chickens they go bananas nut fear not my friend he was dead and didnt suffer. congrats on your first one

Good for you, keep on trucking.
    Bigger things are yet to come.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Good for you! Nice shot.

Yes, that is the way they die. You know it was a kill shot if you see them start doing the funky chicken after the shot. You'll be able to tell the difference between a wounded and dead bird as soon as you wound one.

Some good recipes on here, I hope you enjoy it.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Get yourself some panko bread crumbs add some chili powder, salt and pepper and fry that breast up in some of yesterdays bacon fat!! mmmm good.

there's a reason for the expression "like a chicken with it's head cut off" when something is flailing about...they got some nerves them chickens...not much for brains though...heheheh

We had the oddest thing happen to us a couple weekends ago. My hunting partner took a grouse with his 20ga from about 15 yds away, took the head off clean, we both saw it, immediately after the bird shot at least 100' straight in the air above the treeline, the wind caught it, and it drifted off into the bush. We were both just stunned, kinda sitting there in awe as this thing cooked off. Talking to a few people afterwards, apparently it does happen from time to time. Go figure...

Thanks so much for the all the info and that is a crazy story SuperYeti ! I'm excited to get back out this weekend and next year for some deer!

Yeah Ive blown right through heart and wing on both sides, shot em in the head /neck and had this happend. I now use a shotgun seems the shock to thwir system from the blast puts them down alot faster.