Thread: What shells to buy??

What shells to buy??

I shoot a .410 Stephens bolt action. I hunt grouse with it. I was given a box of old shells when I first got the gun, but I think they were the wrong kind of shot for grouse. What would y'all recommend in the way of shoot for this gun to properly hunt for grouse?
    Thanks
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What shells to buy??

I'd go with #6 or #7 shot. I use an old single shot 16g shotgun, and I use Kent Upland #6 as my "go to".
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

^^^ What he said, but I will add that to make sure it's lead. It's getting very hard to find the smaller gauge shells, when you find some buy lots! K

Quote Originally Posted by Gumsehwah View Post
    I'd go with #6 or #7 shot. I use an old single shot 16g shotgun, and I use Kent Upland #6 as my "go to".
    Almost right. #6 or #7.5
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    ^^^ What he said, but I will add that to make sure it's lead. It's getting very hard to find the smaller gauge shells, when you find some buy lots! K
    Lead? How come?
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Because it is way more efficient than steel and your gun is probably full choke and that doesn't get on well with steel.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I'm not familiar with your gun, but I've hunted grouse with a single shot Cooey for 60 years, and found out early that the short 2 1/2 inch shell isn't enough often. If your gun will allow it, use the 3 inch shell only and in shot size #5 specifically. You probably will have a problem though, as factory made shot size #5 shells are very difficult to find, unless you load your own shells. However, size 6 is still available so you may have to use those. Personally, I wouldn't go to 7 1/2 unless you step up to a 16 or 20 guage or ultimately a 12 guage.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!

i buy the cheepest i can target loads for grouse it isnt a migratory so led is legit
    old shotty only took 2.5 inch max, works fine