Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How big is this bear?

How big is this bear? - Update post #27 - 2019!

I was out exploring new ground yesterday morning, and on a mostly frozen ground FSR I found these tracks. Is there any way to judge based on comparison to a foot (size 11.5) how big this beast would be? I must have missed it by 30 minutes or less.. If this is it's home range what are the odds that it'll be back again through that area?

Thanks,

Gary.

Last edited by wifigary; 05-05-2019 at 02:48 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How big is this bear?

It ain't no cub, that's certain. What region?
    Pretend hunter.

Region 8-23. There seemed to be something stomping around in the trees on the walk out, but I couldn't seem to call it out of the bush and honestly not being able to see this thing made me a little nervous! Haven't encountered a bear on foot yet, this is my first year hunting and I had my kid with me so we moved a little quicker as we were equipped mostly for deer.

The size and location screams grizzly to me, but the lack of claw marks on the front track tells that it is a Blackie. I'd be spending some more time around there if you are looking to cut a black bear tag.
    Pretend hunter.

It's been said a few times here that the width of the paw plus an inch gives you the footage of a bear.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

All helpful info, thanks guys. I do have a black bear tag and I think I'll go really early tomorrow ( we were there at 6:30am last time ) and walk in from a little farther away to not spook it, find a good vantage point and wait. Anyone who's done this before and lives around that area want to come along? I'll drive, provide the coffee, and I'm willing to drive around for at least half the day looking for deer afterwards.

http://westernwildlife.org/grizzly-b...dentification/

I'm trying photobucket on my phone, hopefully it works...Link and photo are for species comparison. For reference my mit is 4.5 inches pinky/metacarpal joint-thumb/metacarpal.
    As stated above I add 1 to 1.5 inches on the width of a bear print for a good guess on the squared footage of a bruin.
    Last edited by Kopper; 11-12-2016 at 12:14 PM.

It's big enough to eat you, you asked.

Shoot it.
    Skin it.
    Place one end of the tape measure on its' nose the other end on its' tail.
    Then one end on one front paw the other end on the other front paw.
    And you will have your answer.
    CARNIVOROUS MAXIMUS

Looks like a grizzly to me. Looks like you can make a straight line between the toes and the pad on the front foot. If you can it is always a grizzly. The pinky toe on a black bear is always down to low on the pad to make a line between pad and toes. Claws don't always show on a grizzly either.