Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Managing new baby and still getting out for the fall season.

Managing new baby and still getting out for the fall season.

Hey, I have 2 bucks in the freezer and my first kid on the way coming in June. Life can get much better! My wife will be off on EI for the entire year after baby is born, I know there's lots of father's out there that manage family life and hunting well. I'm looking for your tips and tricks with keeping the wife happy at home with the kid while your in the bush.
    Thanks!
    I've talked to my wife about next season and she has given me the thumbs up for hunting I just want to make it easier on her.
    Last edited by luger; 12-12-2016 at 06:18 PM.
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Managing new baby and still getting out for the fall season.

Quit your job.
    Good luck.....

In my case it was easy when we had our first child. She loved having me out of the house as much as possible so I actually hunted more than ever. My son was 2 months old when I went on my first moose hunt, and spent the rest of that fall hunting almost every weekend on the island. I just made sure that at all other times I spent as much time with him as possible. Took him out hiking lots and starting taking him hunting with me when he was 7. My wife always supported my hunting because I was so involved with my son. I have been lucky to be married to this great woman for 35 years who supports all of my hobbies.

Get the wife into hunting. If not ...Yer done. lol

The first year while your wife will be on mat leave will be the easiest. Once she goes back to work it will be waaaay more difficult to get away and to juggle life in general.

Be as good as a dad and husband as is possible. That's about all I can offer.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I managed to hunt and fish plenty when my kids were very young. My advice is when the baby is old enough (on the bottle) let mom get out as much as possible when you are around. I do more than my share of chores ie cooking and cleaning when I am home to compensate for when I am not. Doesn't hurt to leave a spa gift certificate with a note how much you appreciate her making it possible for you to get away.

My kids were both hunting with me via baby backpack before they were a year, but it definitely gets easier when they are older.

Congrats!
    KCCO

I think your best bet is to sell me your hunting gear for really cheap.

Going through this right now with a 19 month old and another one coming next May. It's all just a big compromise. It is tough on them and they have all their issues post baby etc. My best advice would be to be open about it and make sure that if hunting is your priority, you better be prepared to give elsewhere though the rest of your year. It'll be allright. Lots have done successfully before us new dads.

Move to an area where you can hunt from your back door. Otherwise, wait until the kids are older and hopefully the whole family can get out together.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    The first year while your wife will be on mat leave will be the easiest. Once she goes back to work it will be waaaay more difficult to get away and to juggle life in general.

Be as good as a dad and husband as is possible. That's about all I can offer.

SSS
    X2 That is the best advice, I have raised 5 kids.

Cheers John.