Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hunter, question about CORE online course. (did i do the right one?)

New hunter, question about CORE online course. (did i do the right one?)

Hey everyone, so im hoping to get my CORE in the next week or 2, i will be hunting with an experienced hunter, and i already am very experienced outdoors, ive never hunted though.

i decided to do the online course as most core courses are on weekends, and i work weekends, so the online course was a great alternative for myself, i thought.

its my weekend and thought i could use the next 2 days to do the course, the course with an instructor takes approx 16 hours from what i heard, so what i was thinking was it was going to be about the same for the online course, so i went onto the SILVERCORE website and purchased the online coure course for $59.99,

it took me under 2 hours to do the course.

this cant be right can it? did i take the right online course? i mastered the tests for each section getting no more than 1 or 2 out of 20 questions each test wrong. im now worried i purchased and completed the wrong course as something that takes up to 16 hours with an instructor shouldnt take a mere ~2 hours by yourself.

any advice on this subject is appreciated. also i already have my PAL, but should i be expecting any written or hands on testing for the core course?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New hunter, question about CORE online course. (did i do the right one?)

I'm pretty sure you have to do the core with an instructor, at least you didn't when I was a kid and did it

No, this is not the actual course.
    This is a training course in preparation for the real test.

Designed by experienced CORE instructors, this online course covers the theoretical portion of the hunter education program. It combines informative slides and relevant quizzes to help prepare you to take the CORE hunter education course or challenge the test.
    This online course has proven to improve retention of information and improve firearm safety. After taking Silvercore’s Online CORE Course, students can pass the CORE exam with confidence in their education and proficiency.
    Students who write the exam after taking the Online CORE Course receive significantly higher grades than those who do not.
    This course will also provide you with a valuable resource to reference after completing the hunter education course.
    Free Retest!
    * If this course is PURCHASED in conjunction with your in person Silvercore CORE Course, you will receive complimentary retest insurance. We are so confident in our Online Theory training that we will provide you a FREE retest if you are unsuccessful. Without this option, you will be required to pay $30 for a complete retest in the event of failure.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I have to do the final exam with an instructor, but the online course is a newer thing from what i know. im just unsure if i did the right one, as it was much too easy for what i was expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    No, this is not the actual course.
    This is a training course in preparation for the real test.

Designed by experienced CORE instructors, this online course covers the theoretical portion of the hunter education program. It combines informative slides and relevant quizzes to help prepare you to take the CORE hunter education course or challenge the test.
    This online course has proven to improve retention of information and improve firearm safety. After taking Silvercore’s Online CORE Course, students can pass the CORE exam with confidence in their education and proficiency.
    Students who write the exam after taking the Online CORE Course receive significantly higher grades than those who do not.
    This course will also provide you with a valuable resource to reference after completing the hunter education course.
    Free Retest!
    * If this course is PURCHASED in conjunction with your in person Silvercore CORE Course, you will receive complimentary retest insurance. We are so confident in our Online Theory training that we will provide you a FREE retest if you are unsuccessful. Without this option, you will be required to pay $30 for a complete retest in the event of failure.
    brutal. looks like i screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandfern View Post
    I have to do the final exam with an instructor, but the online course is a newer thing from what i know. im just unsure if i did the right one, as it was much too easy for what i was expecting.

It looks about right and so you should be well prepared to pass the test.
    1. Human over population

Quote Originally Posted by Islandfern View Post
    brutal. looks like i screwed up.

It's just a training course, I don't think you screwed up.
    But you are not finished yet.
    1. Human over population

never hurts to do MORE training.

Thanks for the Link Lupie

so what i purchased is just a study guide basically? even though i easily passed this guides tests with flying colors, it most likely hasnt prepared 100% to ace the real test? i should have done the course at this website? http://www.huntercourse.com/canada/britishcolumbia/

only thing that frustrates me about this mistake is the timing, i was hoping to use my days off wednesday and thursday to do the online course and then do the exam on friday after work with an instructor. so now that ive wasted all of today, its put me a day behind, that is if my thoughts on this is correct.