Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: First buck - One lucky, but terrible, shot

Re: First buck - One lucky, but terrible, shot

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    i know the "don't point your gun until you are ready to shoot" crew will roast me but I am frequently shouldering and aiming my rifle at safe targets like stumps on a hillside to ensure my scope is clear and my hand is steady...don't underestimate the importance of being able to shoulder you rifle quickly and get dialed in on a target..
    I for one won't roast you I do this all the time too. Of course every time treat the rifle as if its loaded even if its not, must be a good back stop, yada yada yada. Keeps a check on the scope etc as you say and keeps the muscle memory of 'drawing' and aiming fresh in the mind for when you jump one.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I for one won't roast you I do this all the time too. Of course every time treat the rifle as if its loaded even if its not, must be a good back stop, yada yada yada. Keeps a check on the scope etc as you say and keeps the muscle memory of 'drawing' and aiming fresh in the mind for when you jump one.
    +1 ...same here, all the time, empty barrel, safety on, checking "odd" looking features and what not.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Good tips...I'm definitely going to practice with the sweeping motion some more...gotta get that dialed in!

Funny thing is...now that I've got one, I want to go out again so very badly!

Also, my dad went to the same hillside that we often go to for the moose opener yesterday and, as he's pulling into the spot, in the first clearing...WT doe. She must have been laughing at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I .... Keeps a check on the scope etc as you say and keeps the muscle memory of 'drawing' and aiming fresh in the mind for when you jump one.
    +1

Especially if it is a very wet day... Get lens covers if you haven't already. Check for fog and moisture regularly and control your breathing direction (not into your scope...) when you do shoulder your gun. Many an animal has been missed or badly shot because the glass was obscured or distorted with rain or fog.

I should mention that as a courtesy to your hunting partner you may want to warn him/her you will be doing this occasionally or just skip doing it when you are with someone....it is also good for days when you are wearing lots of clothes and may have to adjust how you shoulder the rifle to clear the extra clothing...I mainly started doing it to judge my ability to see in early or late light as well as checking for a fogged scope...I sure noticed how smooth my favourite rifle is to shoulder compared to my backup due to that muscle memory that was mentioned
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 11-02-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    A stiff trigger will cause jerking also.
    Then with ONLY one shot in your rifle dino - BECAUSE ? now your in trouble ! Oh Well ! lol RJ

So I finished butchering up that one rear quarter tonight. I'd been subconsciously avoiding it to avoid finding out how bad the damage was. I'm sad as I figure that, on top of what we'd dumped out of there already, there was probably another 5 lbs (estimate...maybe too high) lost of the good roast pieces. That and I found another piece of bullet in there.

Regardless, still a good hunk of meat left back there...some for grind and some for some roasts.

Marinated the heart for two days and then sous vided it for 24 hours at 131*F and then seared it in butter and olive oil. Ate very nicely over rice. I was almost surprised at how good it was.

Tomorrow, I'll do some grinding and vacuum sealing. May try to make my own sausage.