Thread: possession transportation what does OR mean to you?

possession transportation what does OR mean to you?

I do my own butchering never thought about this before until I read this section several times, I transport the head and manhood anyhow.But now upon re-reading this section,its got my thinking. I would have less waste material to dispose at home if I only had to transport carcass with manhood attached. Based on what I'm reading I can leave the head in the bush?How could a CO determine if a 4 point was harvested in a 4 point MU then? The rule does seem to make sense for an any-buck MU but otherwise... confused???

Page 20 of the Regs:

1) For elk, moose, and deer
    :
    (a)
    If the animal is male, either
    (i) that portion of the head which
    bears the antlers, OR
    (ii)
    both a testicle or part of the penis,
    AND the animal’s tail or another
    readily identifiable part of the hide
    not less than 6 cm

2. Site Sponsor

Re: possession transportation what does OR mean to you?

I would think if there is a point restriction you would be required to prove the number of
    points. IE.. taking the portion of the head that bears the antlers. In a any buck MU I can't see it being required but the manly parts and tail would be required.

4 point season antlers must accompany the species licence. Its in there.

I think that part of the regs applies to proof of sex. Proof of another requirement (points) is a seperate issue

Cant recall who or what the post was called but someone on here recently posted that they got fined for only have antlers and not proof of sex. So ignore the "or" and just have both antlers and proof of sex so it saves on headaches down the road.

Found post:
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...PARTS-ATTACHED
    Last edited by shuswapbear; 10-27-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    4 point season antlers must accompany the species licence. Its in there.
    Exactly, or for say a spike-fork bull moose, or 6 pt bull elk, as it says, 'antlers must accompany species licence'...

Shuswabear thanks!Re: question for all you hunters regarding POSSESS CARCASS WITHOUT PARTS ATTACHED

I had the same questions so sent an email to the CO service asking for confirmation of what was required when field dressing with the gutless method. Here is the response:

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your email dated August 25, 2016, regarding the possession and transport of harvested big game. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

A head detached from a carcass is not sufficient to prove evidence of sex and species of a harvested animal, once the head is removed it is no longer considered naturally attached to the carcass. If the head is detached you must retain other evidence of sex and species, for bulls it is the testicle and penis and a patch of fur or the animals tail. The gutless method is permitted, provided you retain the required parts naturally attached to the carcass.

Note that when an open season for a species is antler restricted (i.e. 6 point elk, spike-fork moose, etc) the antlers must accompany the species license while transporting.

Evidence of sex and species can be removed once you return to your normal dwelling place, a meatcutter, or a cold storage plant.

Further information on possession and transport is copied below

Applicable regulations are copied below for your reference. I’ve included regulations for possession of elk, moose, or deer, as they are the most commonly hunted species. If you want regulations for other species feel free to contact me.

Possession of carcass
    36 (1) A person who possesses the carcass of any wildlife, whether or not the carcass has been divided, without leaving attached the parts required by regulation to be left attached, commits an offence.
    (2) Subsection (1) only applies until the earlier of the following:
    (a) the carcass is given to a meatcutter or the owner or operator of a cold storage plant to be recorded in accordance with section 71,
    (b) the carcass arrives at the person's normal dwelling place and is butchered and stored there for consumption on the premises, or
    (c) the carcass is presented to an employee of the ministry for which the minister is responsible or other person specified by the Lieutenant Governor in Council for inspection.

Division 5 — Possession of Carcass
    Possession of carcass
    15 (1) In subsection (2), "deer" means mule (black-tailed) deer, white-tailed deer and fallow deer.
    (2) For the purpose of section 36 of the Act, a person who possesses the whole carcass or part of a carcass of an elk, moose or deer must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person's possession
    (a) if the animal was male, either
    (i) that portion of the head that bears the antlers, or
    (ii) both
    (A) a testicle or part of the penis, and
    (B) the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2, and
    (b) if the animal was female, either
    (i) that portion of the head that in males normally bears antlers, or
    (ii) both
    (A) a portion of the udder or teats, and
    (B) the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2.

Hunters have to be able to prove that, between the kill location and the persons’ normal dwelling place, mearcutter, or the owner/operator of a cold storage plant, the game in their possession was legally harvested. This means that the hunter must be able to prove the sex and the species of the harvested animal. If you are de-boning/butchering the animal, you must leave, naturally attached to a part of the carcass, proof of sex (testicle, udder, etc as described above), and a minimum 6 cm2 patch of hide or the tail. A detached head bearing antlers is not sufficient for proof of sex and species. The head needs to be left naturally attached to the remainder of the carcass if it is used to prove sex and species of a harvested animal.

Once a hunter arrives at their normal dwelling place they have met the legal requirement for evidence of sex and species. At this point the hunter is free to process the meat in the way that they choose, including canning. Note that if the harvested animal is subject to Compulsory Inspection different regulations may apply because of the parts that must be submitted to an inspector.

Regards,

Stephen MacIver|Regulations and Policy Analyst|Fish & Wildlife Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767|Mobile (250) 889-9497|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

Seems clear to me that if its not point restricted area/season then as far as deer go I can leave the head as long as the carcass has unskinned tail plus a nut or schlong.

Im not a trophy type , so for me if its just a little spike buck I don't really want-need the head.

Quote Originally Posted by coplin View Post
    Shuswabear thanks!Re: question for all you hunters regarding POSSESS CARCASS WITHOUT PARTS ATTACHED

I had the same questions so sent an email to the CO service asking for confirmation of what was required when field dressing with the gutless method. Here is the response:

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your email dated August 25, 2016, regarding the possession and transport of harvested big game. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

A head detached from a carcass is not sufficient to prove evidence of sex and species of a harvested animal, once the head is removed it is no longer considered naturally attached to the carcass. If the head is detached you must retain other evidence of sex and species, for bulls it is the testicle and penis and a patch of fur or the animals tail. The gutless method is permitted, provided you retain the required parts naturally attached to the carcass.

Note that when an open season for a species is antler restricted (i.e. 6 point elk, spike-fork moose, etc) the antlers must accompany the species license while transporting.

Evidence of sex and species can be removed once you return to your normal dwelling place, a meatcutter, or a cold storage plant.

Further information on possession and transport is copied below

Applicable regulations are copied below for your reference. I’ve included regulations for possession of elk, moose, or deer, as they are the most commonly hunted species. If you want regulations for other species feel free to contact me.

Possession of carcass
    36 (1) A person who possesses the carcass of any wildlife, whether or not the carcass has been divided, without leaving attached the parts required by regulation to be left attached, commits an offence.
    (2) Subsection (1) only applies until the earlier of the following:
    (a) the carcass is given to a meatcutter or the owner or operator of a cold storage plant to be recorded in accordance with section 71,
    (b) the carcass arrives at the person's normal dwelling place and is butchered and stored there for consumption on the premises, or
    (c) the carcass is presented to an employee of the ministry for which the minister is responsible or other person specified by the Lieutenant Governor in Council for inspection.

Division 5 — Possession of Carcass
    Possession of carcass
    15 (1) In subsection (2), "deer" means mule (black-tailed) deer, white-tailed deer and fallow deer.
    (2) For the purpose of section 36 of the Act, a person who possesses the whole carcass or part of a carcass of an elk, moose or deer must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person's possession
    (a) if the animal was male, either
    (i) that portion of the head that bears the antlers, or
    (ii) both
    (A) a testicle or part of the penis, and
    (B) the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2, and
    (b) if the animal was female, either
    (i) that portion of the head that in males normally bears antlers, or
    (ii) both
    (A) a portion of the udder or teats, and
    (B) the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2.

Hunters have to be able to prove that, between the kill location and the persons’ normal dwelling place, mearcutter, or the owner/operator of a cold storage plant, the game in their possession was legally harvested. This means that the hunter must be able to prove the sex and the species of the harvested animal. If you are de-boning/butchering the animal, you must leave, naturally attached to a part of the carcass, proof of sex (testicle, udder, etc as described above), and a minimum 6 cm2 patch of hide or the tail. A detached head bearing antlers is not sufficient for proof of sex and species. The head needs to be left naturally attached to the remainder of the carcass if it is used to prove sex and species of a harvested animal.

Once a hunter arrives at their normal dwelling place they have met the legal requirement for evidence of sex and species. At this point the hunter is free to process the meat in the way that they choose, including canning. Note that if the harvested animal is subject to Compulsory Inspection different regulations may apply because of the parts that must be submitted to an inspector.

Regards,

Stephen MacIver|Regulations and Policy Analyst|Fish & Wildlife Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767|Mobile (250) 889-9497|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca
    now that's the clearest i've read in this matter.