Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rain Gear Comparison

Re: Rain Gear Comparison

Thank you!

Just a side note ....Watching a hunting show ....Bob Foulkrod hunting up in Alaska and he was talking about rain gear and interior moisture re: sweating from hiking ..He basically said if the clothing you are wearing next to your body and every other layer doesnt allow moisture to escape..You are going to get wet ..So even though these articles of clothing let moisture escape one must also wear the complete package ...His explanation made common sense..But also good outer clothing is important ...He was describing Goretex ...Thoughts !!!!...Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Just a side note ....Watching a hunting show ....Bob Foulkrod hunting up in Alaska and he was talking about rain gear and interior moisture re: sweating from hiking ..He basically said if the clothing you are wearing next to your body and every other layer doesnt allow moisture to escape..You are going to get wet ..So even though these articles of clothing let moisture escape one must also wear the complete package ...His explanation made common sense..But also good outer clothing is important ...He was describing Goretex ...Thoughts !!!!...Dennis
    depends on your activity level. If i'm fishing and mostly sitting or standing in place it doesn't matter what i'm wearing underneath i'll still stay dry. if i'm hiking i'm going to get wet no matter what. The problem with gore-tex is that people assume just because its breathable that you can go hiking all day and be dry and that if you're wet inside it is leaking. Gore-tex or any other breathable fabric simply cannot keep up with the amount of vapour that you generate inside when you are hiking. The main reason to wear the appropriate (non-cotton) base layers is that once you stop, you will dry out a lot faster than if you had worn cotton since these fabrics wont absorb as much of the sweat, and since they dry out faster than cotton.

Unless its really cold outside i'd rather be wet from the rain and change as soon as i stop THEN put on the gore-tex, rather than trying to hike in my gore-tex jacket and being overly hot and almost as wet but from sweat. Of course, this only works for early season hunts when its not too cold out.

if you're hiking up a mountain, you're gonna sweat and in the words of Proguide66 "that's all there is to it".
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 10-26-2016 at 01:15 PM.

I have bought all kinds of rain gear including Sitka-Kuiu etc I now buy made in Vancouver 3 layer Taiga rain gear works for me plus I'm supporting a local company and if I do need repairs I ship it to them and they either replace it or repair it in house.

No duties to deal with and if I want to drive in to the store I drive in.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

I was at taiga and I wish there clothes were cut a little slimmer. That's what draws me to other brands. I'm 5'11" and 175. Their garments are cut pretty square and for me and my build there is a lot of excess fabric swishing around.

Fuzzy