Thread: Do Grouse Cross Breed?

Do Grouse Cross Breed?

I am thinking so now. Came across a covey of about 10 and noticed they were all Ruffled Grouse except 1, it was a Spruce male. I took the male Spruce and 2 Ruffed hens. The Spruce meat was dark as usual but the Ruffed hen's meat was quite dark as well. They were all quite dumb and non skiddish. I shot another Ruffed some time later and it was wary as usual for Ruffed and the meat was it's usual light colour.
    Any opinions here? Glenny
    Last edited by Glenny; 10-25-2016 at 10:45 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Do Grouse Cross Breed?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenny View Post
    I am thinking so now. Came across a covey of about 10 and noticed they were all Ruffled Grouse except 1, it was a Spruce male. I took the male Spruce and 2 Ruffed hens. The Spruce meat was dark as usual but the Ruffed hen's meat was quite dark. They were all quite dumb and non skiddish. I shot another Ruffed some time later and it was wary as usual for Ruffed and the meat was it's usual light colour.
    Any opinions here? Glenny

Not all spruce are dark meat seems some of the younger once I shoot are light meat as well. Don't really know if it is age or diet really.

Never had a dark meat ruff though is there a chance they were spruce hens

Pretty damn sure they were ruffled. Brownish in colour with the ruffed grouse markings. Got the breasts in the freezer with the wings still on so could post up pics when I thaw them out.

Pretty damn sure they were ruffled. Brownish in colour with the ruffed grouse markings. Got the breasts in the freezer with the wings still on so could post up pics when I thaw them out.
    Dont doubt you just seen guys mess up with spruce hens thinking they were ruff. It was that you had shot a male spruce with them that made me ask

was talking to my brother since my last post he says he has shot a few dark meat ruff over the years. He is a chicken killing freak lol

Female spruce grouse can look a lot like a ruff grouse

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    Female spruce grouse can look a lot like a ruff grouse
    Must have been the case then. I was 100% positive they were Ruffed. Didn't know about this as all Spruce I have shot in the past were very obviously Spruce. Hens and males. Go figure..

Must have been the case then. I was 100% positive they were Ruffed. Didn't know about this as all Spruce I have shot in the past were very obviously Spruce. Hens and males. Go figure..
    Next time if you are unsure close their eye lids, just above it will be a patch of colour; red for a spruce, yellow for a blue and no colour for a ruffy. I recommend you shoot them first for before attempting this
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Next time if you are unsure close their eye lids, just above it will be a patch of colour; red for a spruce, yellow for a blue and no colour for a ruffy. I recommend you shoot them first for before attempting this
    Only the Male Spruce has the red eyecomb above the eyes. Females have no red eye comb.

Haven't heard of a RuffedxSpruce hybrid; I don't think there's any evidence that they cross-breed. A mixed flock is also rare, but within the realm of possibility I suppose. As was said earlier, female & young spruce grouse can look somewhat like a ruffie, so that seem the most likely explanation. One way to tell for sure is to look at the tail. They are all distinctive & different for each species. A ruffed grouse tail is very unlike a spruce grouse or blue grouse (or ptarmigan, or sharp-tail). And to head off any confusion, you guys in central & southern BC will have "Franklin's" type spruce grouse. They don't have the chestnut band on the tail like the eastern ones.