Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rare or Med Rare grouse? Anyone try this?

Re: Rare or Med Rare grouse? Anyone try this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ddog View Post
    i eat duck medium rare,,and its the best!! delicious, but for grouse i like it cooked to the point where it is still juicy,,just doesnt sit well with me either if its a little,,pinky or rare,,but now i may just look it up and see what some professional chefs have to say.
    I would agree on this. Duck med rare is ok in my books but not sure about grouse. Never heard of chicken sushi.

Cut the breasts in strips roughly a half inch by a half inch and fast fry in a smoking hot cast iron fry pan in a bit of olive oil till a bit brown on all sides, remove from heat and give them a good shot of Franks Red Hot right in the pan. Let them cool a bit and enjoy! The key is to not over cook them, the strips only take a few minutes and they're done. Enjoy! K

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstix View Post
    I make popcorn grouse. cubed into size of sugar cubes, toss in pancake mix with pepper and Lawry's, quick fry...yummy
    Ill need to try that one. Sounds good! I cut my grouse into strips and fry up with some oil and seasoning salt. I've also broiled the strips until golden brown. Then toss into a pot of my hot sauce recipe for wings. Great for appys instead of breaded wings from the grocery store.

If you sous vide it, you can cook it to medium rare but hold the temp long enough to kill the bacteria. Perfect safety without overcooking.

Nothing wrong with med rare grouse if that's what you like. Just like duck, it's all in the prep work. Over cooked game birds can make for a tough chew.

I like it in a stir fry..... cut cross grain in thin strips and fried in a little oil at a high heat. Cooking it this way retains the moisture and keeps it tender. Cooking time 3-5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBaconPancakes View Post
    Scouring the interwebs for recipes I found most professional cooks say the only was to serve grouse properly is rare or med rare. This seem to sit kinda rough on me considering I link it to poultry..... Any thoughts?

If its possible my thoughts were to brine in salt water for 24 hrs, freeze for afew weeks to kill potential parasites, remove and defrost in milk, season, stuff em with rosemary, onions, garlic, bacon wrap and toss em in cast iron skillet on medium with butter. Then move them to the BBQ for about 10 minutes.
    wow.. I just cook them like chicken and have it with rice or something. Usually while on a hunting trip. Never thought of it as being a gourmet meal to have all that prep put into it.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

We really like shake n bake, just cut it into cubes and use whatever flavor of shake n bake you like and pan fry them in a mixture of butter and olive oil

I've ate more than my fair share of grouse rare-raw... never on purpose. But sometimes in the woods you don't have the best cooking light. I've yet to have any problems, but I prefer to cook it until the juices are clear.

We have had our fill of grouse this year, and I usually just wrap breasts in bacon and BBQ (cooked until juices are juuuust clear). In the past we've cut the breasts across the grain, into very thin strips then quick fry for a stir fry. Key was frying quick, then removing from heat while you fry veggies. Then add the meat back in to warm at the end. Keeps the meat from over-cooking and drying out.

This year, I wanted to experiment. I beat the snot out of 2 breasts and stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese and home made garden chard pesto. Filled 'em up, rolled, toothpicked, and baked. Next time I would add a bit of fat to the top, but these definitely turned out delicious and still tender. Breaking down the muscle tissue with a mallet definitely helped.