Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rare or Med Rare grouse? Anyone try this?

Re: Rare or Med Rare grouse? Anyone try this?

Salt, pepper, olive oil. 3 minutes a side. Medium-Rare for me.

My entire life and my dad's life lunch has been where we found it...

I have killed grouse many different ways when out in the bush for a snack many times barely cooking the outside on a stick on a fire peeling a layer than cooking some more...

I am pretty healthy..I have eaten some pretty raw grouse when hungry..lol.

I like to cube grouse up as well. Add home ground flour, garlic and onion powders, fresh ground pepper, salt, and whatever other spices grab my fancy, toss with the cubes of grouse. Then I heat some olive oil in a wok on the BBQ side burner, add the grouse and stir fry until golden. Tasty tasty, and it retains some moisture.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

This is is the right track, salmonella comes from the gut tract so as long as clean head shot and careful cleaning you should be good to go. Eat away. Maybe some grouse tartare in the future, just bring mixture.

as far as the guy whose buddy got sick from eating undercooked grouse, it is most likely the bird was contaminated from cleaning process or the shot, either shotgun pellet went through the gut or some other way guts got on the meat, or they dont wash hands properly after visiting the can, most common way to spread disease. Unless he specifically only ate grouse for the hours up to and after you can never know where food poisoning comes from, washing veggies can be a big one as they grow in crap

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    One of the reasons commercial chicken needs to be cooked is that salmonella is an intestinal bacteria and is quite resistant. Apparently the mass processing of the chicken carcasses and gutting allows contamination outside of the abdominal cavity and onto the meat.

There are some chefs in Japan (check out one of Anthony Bourdain's episodes on Japan) where a Japanese chef personally raises and kills chickens for his restaurant and very carefully slaughters the birds, and actually serves sashimi style chicken (sounds gross to me).

There are other reasons for eating well cooked chicken, but this is one... As far as game birds, I think Adriaticum is right - proper field care would possibly eliminate many of the issues with the meat