Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rare or Med Rare grouse? Anyone try this?

Rare or Med Rare grouse? Anyone try this?

Scouring the interwebs for recipes I found most professional cooks say the only was to serve grouse properly is rare or med rare. This seem to sit kinda rough on me considering I link it to poultry..... Any thoughts?

If its possible my thoughts were to brine in salt water for 24 hrs, freeze for afew weeks to kill potential parasites, remove and defrost in milk, season, stuff em with rosemary, onions, garlic, bacon wrap and toss em in cast iron skillet on medium with butter. Then move them to the BBQ for about 10 minutes.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rare or Med Rare grouse? Anyone try this?

I prefer just done to the point that the juice runs clear. Cooking grouse on the BBQ is an art form.

Juicey rare has never hurt me in over 50 years of eating these sucullent beauties.

It is poultry and the reason you don't eat chicken rare is because of potential of salmonella buildup.
    But the main reason store bought meat should be cooked thoroughly is because we don't know where it comes from, how it's been handled and packaged.
    That's the main food safety concern.
    If you know your meat, which you do in this case, and you keep it clean and sanitary you should be ok.
    Of course not all meats are equal.
    You wouldn't eat wild boar or bear rare because of other things.
    Every meat has it's quirks.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

never rare but like most meats the longer you cook it the tougher and drier it gets. BBQ'ing is great if you stand and watch it and don't go for a beer
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

One of the reasons commercial chicken needs to be cooked is that salmonella is an intestinal bacteria and is quite resistant. Apparently the mass processing of the chicken carcasses and gutting allows contamination outside of the abdominal cavity and onto the meat.

There are some chefs in Japan (check out one of Anthony Bourdain's episodes on Japan) where a Japanese chef personally raises and kills chickens for his restaurant and very carefully slaughters the birds, and actually serves sashimi style chicken (sounds gross to me).

There are other reasons for eating well cooked chicken, but this is one... As far as game birds, I think Adriaticum is right - proper field care would possibly eliminate many of the issues with the meat

I like the little buggers battered and fried like halibut. I cut the breasts into strips and the legs whole.

Whenever I do them on the bbq or an open fire i seem to over cook them. That being said I dont like pink juices coming out of Fowl.
    Because in a sense, it's the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was because of who we've become. Which is, after all, why we left.

Bernard Stevens

Had a buddy get very bad food poisoning from an undercooked grouse last year. Ever since my wife is very cautious about how I cook our grouse. I like pan fried on low till the juices run clear and then its done. Very easy to overcook and then no one likes it.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

I make popcorn grouse. cubed into size of sugar cubes, toss in pancake mix with pepper and Lawry's, quick fry...yummy
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

i eat duck medium rare,,and its the best!! delicious, but for grouse i like it cooked to the point where it is still juicy,,just doesnt sit well with me either if its a little,,pinky or rare,,but now i may just look it up and see what some professional chefs have to say.