Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Findlay Creek Outfitters

Findlay Creek Outfitters

Mike Christensen, the guide, sold his Findlay/Doctor Creek operation and because there were no clients that signed up for a hunt this year, all was at a 'standstill'
    This is not good, having hunted the Findlay creek area for over 25 years i have seen the elk populations plummet.
    Its the same situation where i live, the open hunting for some to hunt male, female and yearlings only results in the animal populations to plummet to a unsustainable level.
    Mike hunts the high mountain elk that come down in the winter after the season ends, but this intense off season hunting makes them susceptible to meat hunting.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Findlay Creek Outfitters

So you are blaming the drop in numbers of game populations on hunting?
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by findlyflats View Post
    Mike Christensen, the guide, sold his Findlay/Doctor Creek operation and because there were no clients that signed up for a hunt this year, all was at a 'standstill'
    This is not good, having hunted the Findlay creek area for over 25 years i have seen the elk populations plummet.
    Its the same situation where i live, the open hunting for some to hunt male, female and yearlings only results in the animal populations to plummet to a unsustainable level.
    Mike hunts the high mountain elk that come down in the winter after the season ends, but this intense off season hunting makes them susceptible to meat hunting.
    Sorry, but I am confused??
    What do you mean by "off-season hunting".
    I have met Mike, new his father better however.
    I know the area you speak of.
    I also know from talking to CO's that another outfitter, where I hunt close by, is also having
    troubles finding clients.
    Actually, from talking to the guide...he is having trouble finding Elk!
    The previous outfitter (and I am glad they are gone...poachers IMO) sold do to no elk.
    I have been hunting up there for 35 years now, and have seen the Elk plummet in numbers etc.
    The major off season hunting that I am aware of....is from Wolves and more G-Bears.
    I am not aware of any major poaching going on, and have even enquired to a CO (who I know well in Invermere),
    and he says he is not aware of any serious issues in the area....again, just wolves.
    Can you elaborate more?

Also, side note....did big Earl hit the ground (did you have success?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Sorry, but I am confused??
    What do you mean by "off-season hunting".
    I have met Mike, new his father better however.
    I know the area you speak of.
    I also know from talking to CO's that another outfitter, where I hunt close by, is also having
    troubles finding clients.
    Actually, from talking to the guide...he is having trouble finding Elk!
    The previous outfitter (and I am glad they are gone...poachers IMO) sold do to no elk.
    I have been hunting up there for 35 years now, and have seen the Elk plummet in numbers etc.
    The major off season hunting that I am aware of....is from Wolves and more G-Bears.
    I am not aware of any major poaching going on, and have even enquired to a CO (who I know well in Invermere),
    and he says he is not aware of any serious issues in the area....again, just wolves.
    Can you elaborate more?

Also, side note....did big Earl hit the ground (did you have success?)
    Grizzly bears are a huge factor in declining elk herds. The research has shown ~40% of elk calves are killed by grizzly. Studies of moose mortality in Alaska have similar results. This year alone I witnessed grizzlies chasing elk on two occasions. One grizzly my buddy shot as it was chasing a cow this spring (yes, he had a tag). We saw another grizzly chasing elk this fall. It's a far bigger problem than most realize or will admit. Probably a bigger issue than wolves.

Black bears can also prey heavily on elk calves. One researcher has been studying an elk herd in Alberta that has declined from nearly 4000 animals, to about 200. It turns out that boar black bears are destroying recruitment. Interesting stuff.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Grizzly bears are a huge factor in declining elk herds. The research has shown ~40% of elk calves are killed by grizzly. Studies of moose mortality in Alaska have similar results. This year alone I witnessed grizzlies chasing elk on two occasions. One grizzly my buddy shot as it was chasing a cow this spring (yes, he had a tag). We saw another grizzly chasing elk this fall. It's a far bigger problem than most realize or will admit. Probably a bigger issue than wolves.

Black bears can also prey heavily on elk calves. One researcher has been studying an elk herd in Alberta that has declined from nearly 4000 animals, to about 200. It turns out that boar black bears are destroying recruitment. Interesting stuff.
    What Irony!
    When speaking to the GO where I go, I asked him about the G-Bear and B-bear in the area.
    I told him, I have never in all these years, and my father, longer than I, seen so many Bears as now.
    Cougar and obviously Wolf as well.
    the GO tells me that part of the reason is....he is not hunting them.....yet....get this....why....
    He wants them to be Trophy Sized!
    The kicker is....the Bears, especially G-Bear, are right in the same vicinity as were the Cow Elk drop there Calves!
    Left me shaking my head....
    So, I buy B-Bear Tags now.
    And, if a Fall LEH G-Bear ever happens....I'm in.
    Also the fact that they are coming into camps now, and aren't very fearful of hunters/humans anymore.
    It is a problem....I am sure of it.

I have camped in the findlay and about 10 years ago we met some natives , they where not from the area , where impressed with the game and said they where coming back after the snow hits.
    That November a local heard shooting up fir mt and went to investigate, the natives where loading 6 elk in the trucks and when they left the local went back.

He said there where blood trails leading down the hill, the human tracks only followed a little way then stopped. the resident heard up fir was about 25 elk back then and could bee seen every morning. if 6 + cows and calfs where shot every year, how long would it take for the heard to get down to the 4 i saw last year.
    If you speak to mike, ask him what he thinks about the native hunting affecting the findlay elk herds in the last 15 years.
    From what i under stand, the moose population went the same way.
    Where i live, the deer population is extremely low, we all know it is from poaching of does, fawns and bucks that are sold.
    It is sad to see such poor management and the co from invermere has to be politically correct when asked why the elk numbers are so low.

Hummm a Native troll perhaps?????? lets get er goin blame the natives
    Because in a sense, it's the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was because of who we've become. Which is, after all, why we left.

Bernard Stevens

Too many Hunters, Not enough Game . Some wolfs.. I mean sure there are G-Bears, But are they the main culprit. I dont think so . The Natives around there dont take that many Elk , some ,but i dont really know for sure how many .Wolves arent the main issue either.. Hard to say . .Up here in Golden the Hunting really sucks . Its too Overhunted. too many moose draws for areas that were good several years ago . Some Elk around, but there pinned downed by wolves,Hunting pressure .. They dont answer much .. We have thicker And steeper Terrain .. Some Deer , But most keep low and deep.. sometimes we head south for Mule and Whitetail later in the season . Thats Hunting so they say..
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN TOP SNIPER View Post
    Too many Hunters, Not enough Game . Some wolfs.. I mean sure there are G-Bears, But are they the main culprit. I dont think so . The Natives around there dont take that many Elk , some ,but i dont really know for sure how many .Wolves arent the main issue either.. Hard to say . .Up here in Golden the Hunting really sucks . Its too Overhunted. too many moose draws for areas that were good several years ago . Some Elk around, but there pinned downed by wolves,Hunting pressure .. They dont answer much .. We have thicker And steeper Terrain .. Some Deer , But most keep low and deep.. sometimes we head south for Mule and Whitetail later in the season . Thats Hunting so they say..
    Why don't you think grizzlies are preying heavily on ungulates?? What evidence do you have to support that belief?
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN TOP SNIPER View Post
    Can you explain to us how a 6 point elk season results in low elk populations?
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !