Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .303 scope

.303 scope

Hi my dad is passing down his .303 Enfield to me. It will be my first hunting rifle. He doesn't have a scope for it but I would like to buy one. Does anybody have any recommendations as to what type of scope would best fit on a older .303 rifle? I know I could take it to a outdoors sporting good store but thought if I could have some information as to what I should be looking for before I go to Cabela's.
    Thank you.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: .303 scope

Will have to be taken to a qualified gun smith to to be drilled and tapped for a scope, and there are different model's of 303 Enfield???

I guess a place like Cabelas would tap and drill a place to mount a scope?

I'd take it to a more reputable gun dealer/ gunsmith foe this. Maybe try Reliable Gun or Italian Sporting Goods depending on your location.

Sorry...I see your in Nanaimo...isn't that really old store (cant remember the name now) still there just down at the bottom of the hill, close to the old mall and CPR ferry ??
    Last edited by Sleep Robber; 10-20-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    Leave the gun, grab the cannoli's.

Check with Bucky's sporting in Duncan, they will know a reliable gun smith around Duncan.

If it's the same place I am thinking of no it closed a long time ago.

I will check with Buck's as well as ask a few guys at work. They might be able to point in the right direction as well.

My .303 is a 1940 Lee Enfield Mark III by BSA. I had a bushnell 3-9x40 4200 elite put on it by a reputable gun smith back in 2007 or so. Nice scope, but I think it is discontinued now. They say the 3500 elite is about the same. Vortex will likely have a comparable scope for a good price too. Anywho, plenty good scope for a .303 since you really don't want to being shooting any further then say 200 yards with it. And if do shoot out to 200, make sure the gun is sighted for that range. The bullets on a .303 drop fast after about 150 yards. Trust me, I know.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Many scopes are too heavy to add to an already heavy Lee Enfield. I mounted a 2.5x Bushnell on a Jungle Carbine 35 years ago and it was about perfect. You don't need high magnification for reasonable range hunting.

I mounted a Addley mount to my PH 303 and have a weaver k4 on it now. My 12 year old can shoot a 1 " group at 100 yards with it. Still need to find him a deer to shoot though.