Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .303 scope

Re: .303 scope

Seems like there are a few mounts available that do not require drilling and tapping. I have absolutely no experience with these but put it out there as an FYI, here is an example
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ld-scope-mount

Bucky's will give you the name of a guy who does gun smithing out of his house as a sideline gig. Not that there is anything wrong with that. The closest professional smith would probably be Dennis Sorensen who posts as guntech. I believe he is semi retired and devotes his time to accurizing firearms. He may know of another competent smith on the South Island.

Just another FYI, the Enfield is designed to be shot with open sights. The shape of the butt stock puts the shooters eye right over the bore to look through the sights. Your eye will be to low with a proper cheek weld to look through a scope once you have added mounts and rings. You would need add a cheek piece to the butt stock to get your eye up in line with the scope. Another option you can look at is replacing your open sights with something like ghost ring sights. They are not as pin point accurate as a scope, but hunting with an old Enfield is not about being pin point accurate. Something else to look into, maybe there are options out there that would allow you to mount a ghost ring without needing to drill and tap the receiver.

Of course my big assumption is that the stock is somewhat original military, forget everything I just wrote if it has a modern sporter stock on it.
    Last edited by brian; 10-22-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: assuming myself

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will ask around to see what needs to be done to the riffle for mounting a scope. I have talked to a few people who have mentioned I don't need a scope. I might just leave the riffle as is and settle on just making sure I don't take any long range shots. For now I am going to enjoy hunting with bow.

I use an old bushnel scope, too many trees around here to do long shots anyway, my 303 was sporterized by Parker hale, was made to hold scope, uses basic rings. Just under 10 lbs with scope and full mag.