Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: edge clarity in binos

Re: edge clarity in binos

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    Leica Hd glass is cleaner and crisper than swaro.
    Not to my eyes, but my eyes ain't what they used to be. Need all the help I can get HA
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Not to my eyes, but my eyes ain't what they used to be. Need all the help I can get HA
    Swarovski Hd glass brings out yellows and greens which makes the glass appear brighter and let more light in, and it does. But, if you compare them side by side in hunting conditions and not from a front counter in a store you'll see the color contrast and crispness of the leica glass is much better.

I've got two pair of Swaro and three pair of Leica binos. The Leicas are not "much better" as
    stated above. Actually I think the Swarovision ELs have a slight edge. Everyone's eyes are different though so what I see may not be what you see! The Leicas are excellent, or I wouldn't own them. And this
    is under field conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    Swarovski Hd glass brings out yellows and greens which makes the glass appear brighter and let more light in, and it does. But, if you compare them side by side in hunting conditions and not from a front counter in a store you'll see the color contrast and crispness of the leica glass is much better.
    Tried my buddies leicas last season side by side with the swaro's, definitely not as bright in low light. Wasn't much for colour to really compare as it was late fall, crispness not quite sure but brighter is crisp to my eyes and swaro wins. His were the range finder model, maybe something to do with it?
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Most of my encounters with quality animals are at first light and the last few minutes of legal shooting light. Having said that.......

When it comes to optic brand and model separation, in regards to performance, low light is where the rubber meets the road.

Any half ass pr of binos or spotter will be reasonably clear and serve ur cause in good light.

I would suggest to anyone looking at buying/evaluating binos ......that you take several pr out and glass at sunset til dark. This is where you will see quality optics standout.

That will parley into performance in foggy and wet conditions etc

Low light definition and clarity is a paramount evaluation criterium in optic selection for some and I support that 100%.

Something to consider

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

When it comes to optic brand and model separation, in regards to performance, low light is where the rubber meets the road.

Any half ass pr of binos or spotter will be reasonably clear and serve ur cause in good light.
    I completely agree with this. Does anyone know if shear edge to edge clarity has any bearing on light transmission? Because by my standards low light performance is far preferable to edge to edge clarity. I have amazingly clear inexpensive optics that blow in low light whereas my old vortex viper binos (that I f*ckin lost) were amazing when it was getting dark.

One more thing to keep in mind when reading birders reviews, most birds go to bed when the critters we're hunting start peeking their noses out. I always look forward to hearing the forest go quiet, I imagine that's when the birders go home. So not being a birder, I imagine low light is probably not high on their list of desirable bino traits.
    Last edited by brian; 10-26-2016 at 12:14 PM. Reason: birders gto home

Stopped at the optics counter at Cabelas the other day and did my edge clarity test again but this time included the top dogs.

The test, again, was simply to focus on some tiny letters on a propane bottle 30 yards away then raise the binos slightly and to read the letters using only the edge of the glass.

The cheapest binos with a clear edge that allowed me to read the letters without refocusing were Vortex Razor HD. Superb quality. Swarovski were better but not by much.

A shocking disappointent, however, were zeiss Victory binos. Awful edge clarity in my test. Significantly improved if you refocus while looking at the edge but thats ridiculous as you would never be actively looking through at the edges. Was very very disappointed at the victory in this test.

Again, with a well lit store this was just a test of edge clarity of the glass compared to the center.

I think the Razor HD just went to the top of the list for bino replacements in 2017. Was really impressed with their clarity.

Swarovski sales rep taught me to do that test. He called it 'mapping the glass' - it is a great test, and like you found with the Zeiss, it can be very surprising what binos don't impress!

I love my Razor 10x42 but going to try 8x42 Razors for bigger field of view when hunting elk in the timber
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Ever since I bought my EL's I've been doing this in the field. Prop em up on a stump or why and scan every nook and cranny, edge to edge, without moving binos. Field of view is increased quite s bit also. Amazing what you can pick out even from a km. An ear twitch, tail flick, antler tine white snout these things find em all...

My buddies brand new leica rangefinding binos have horrible edge to edge clarity. He wasnt impressed after looking thru my EL.