So i finally got my first duck last weekend ... After missing a shot while a pair of ducks flew by me, i followed them were they landed on a pond approx. 200m away from where i was. I snaked behind them and shot one while they there flying away. 45yrd shot. i spent 3 days at the estuary ... It was painful seeing other birds flying directly towards other hunter's decoys and the hunters bagging 1-3 ducks/geese per every flock of birds that approached them. I was able of calling geese and ducks but they were never got close enough to me.

I am now thinking in investing on a few decoys. The only reason stopping me is the cost of the decoys (maybe also my wife). I want to buy some duck decoys from wholesale sports for $50 but I dont know if this will be attractive enough for other ducks if i only use 2-6 decoys. For geese ... Ill wait until end of season since geese decoys are really expensive everywhere.

i dont have much storage space available at home. i also enjoy walking around when i go to the estuary so i dont want to make it a burden carrying the decoys from one spot to the other.

so what are your thoughts on the ideal number of decoys for one person and the type of decoy to buy if i just buy a two or six of them? What is your success rate when you have used decoys vs when you havent?