Thread: Experience From My 3 Day Hunt for Blacktails On Vancouver Island

Experience From My 3 Day Hunt for Blacktails On Vancouver Island

Using information gained from this forum I set out for a multi day hunt on central Vancouver Island. I just wanted to share what I learned along the way

I focused my efforts on first and last light, trying multiple hunting styles

1. Road hunting / driving (30% of the time)
    2. Still Hunting or walk and pause style (40% or the time)
    3. Watching cutblocks and large open areas (30% of the time)

I was fortunate to see deer using all of the above mentioned techniques, but found that I learned the most using the still hunting style. I was able to locate bedding areas, well used trails and other sign, and focus my efforts on those areas.

Glassing large cutblocks for extended periods was tough to stay on task and my mind would wander. I think being able to hunker down and glass hillsides for an extended time is an skill that takes patience and devotion

Road hunting - it seems it gets a bad rap on this forum, but I sure saw a lot of deer this way ( I was driving between multiple cut block areas and would see them on hillsides, rock bluffs, or even crossing the road. I saw more deer this way, but didn't learn much about them.

Weather

I hunted before, during and after this weekends rain/wind storm. The day leading up to the storm, deer seemed to be out in the open everywhere. During the wind and rain, I saw less deer, and I found them to be close by or in heavy timber. After the rain when it became sunny and dry, I didn't see a single deer the entire day, which surprised me.

And here is the best part.

I was able to harvest a nice spike fork buck. What type of hunting style was I using you may ask. Well, I was walking back to my truck after hunting hard all morning, talking on my cell phone and kicking rocks when out pops a young buck on a quad trail.

Moral of the story, always be prepared. All the reading, scouting and google earth may help you be successfull, but good old luck always helps too.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Experience From My 3 Day Hunt for Blacktails On Vancouver Island

Thanks for sharing your story. I will use your observations for my own hunting trips. I saw like 20-30 deers in a farm next to the hwy on friday evening while i was driving to nanaimo.

Nice! Congrats on your buck. I too like to use all three methods of hunting you described, letting the wheels, eyes, and patience do the leg work.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Thanks for the write up. Interesting observations, thanks for sharing... Congrats on getting your deer too.

Good write up and observations, and congrats on the buck...yes you always have to be ready, from my experience especially with whitetails, cause they don't give you very long to respond...I'm surprised you didn't see anything after the rainstorm, I've shot deer right after a storm I've found that time to be very productive..

Way to go!! Sounds like a very enjoyable productive trip. Any pics?
    Thanks for sharing. Are you from the island?
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Hey Kenny,

I am from the mainland, and was visiting family. No pictures unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by therise View Post
    Hey Kenny,

I am from the mainland, and was visiting family. No pictures unfortunately.
    Good for you! Its tough coming to the island and being successful. You must have done your homework.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Thanks for sharing your story. For myself I will be setting up a tree stand or a ground blind. Not sure how I will do as its my first year hunting and learning the areas on the island but either way just being outdoors is always nice.

Great observations and even better work on cutting a tag on a bt with no scouting or prior experience. Congrats!