Thread: Setting up large tarps...

Setting up large tarps...

I just picked up a 30x50 foot tarp at a good price. Initially I was only going for a 15x20 footer but when I saw this large one and could not make myself put it down at the price they wanted.

My vision was I could hang it in such a way as to have at least 3 walls to help with wind, now I'm starting to think maybe it's too large.

Opinions?

Any pictures of your camps with large tarps would be great too. We would be using poles and rope to set it up, no frame to drape it over.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Setting up large tarps...

I have pitched large tarps (not quite that large though, usually 20' x 30') quite a bit. I start off with stringing a horizontal ridgeline quite high between two trees. Use a trucker's hitch to get it REALLY tight. Then put the tarp over it and tie down each of the 4 corners. Easy and it works well. With a tarp that large, don't be pitching it where there is a lot of wind though. And forget about using the grommets. They will tear out before you get finished setting it up. At each corner, tie a clove hitch around a good chunk of the tarp (say 8" or so) and it will hold well.

Also, if expecting snow be sure to put the tarp up with the cuff facing down. This will allow, as best it can, the snow to slide off the tarp and not get hung up on the cuff.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

we will often put another couple or ropes or 3 completely over the tarp to help hold it down without actually attaching to the tarp

I always have spurs with me to attach cable high in tree. I Use plastic coated steel clothesline. It's cheap, readily available, easy to handle and takes up little room. Is strong and doesn't stretch much. Attach one end to tree at height wanted. run along ground and attach over strong limb or with small snatch block to limb in other tree. Put tarp over the cable laying on ground and then pull free end of cable until the tarp is raised to the height you want and tie off. with tarp suspended in air it is Just a matter of tying off rest of tarp in whatever configuration you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    I have pitched large tarps (not quite that large though, usually 20' x 30') quite a bit. I start off with stringing a horizontal ridgeline quite high between two trees. Use a trucker's hitch to get it REALLY tight. Then put the tarp over it and tie down each of the 4 corners. Easy and it works well. With a tarp that large, don't be pitching it where there is a lot of wind though. And forget about using the grommets. They will tear out before you get finished setting it up. At each corner, tie a clove hitch around a good chunk of the tarp (say 8" or so) and it will hold well.
    Forget the gromets. What i find works really well is to take a pebble, or a piece of wood and fold the corner over it. Then, tie the rope to that! Works like a charm. Grommets will rip out while you're tightening it, long before the wind even kicks in. They're awful.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Forget the gromets. What i find works really well is to take a pebble, or a piece of wood and fold the corner over it. Then, tie the rope to that! Works like a charm. Grommets will rip out while you're tightening it, long before the wind even kicks in. They're awful.
    I do the same but I bought a bag of big marbles at the dollar store, especially handy when there's snow on the ground. K

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    I do the same but I bought a bag of big marbles at the dollar store, especially handy when there's snow on the ground. K
    golf balls work good for me

It's it just you and the wife go'in be sleep'in under this big tarp, or you folks got young'in's too?

You don't really need the marbles, etc. if you just tie a clove hitch around the tarp about 8" up from the corner.