Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on meat handling, storage, etc.

Re: Questions on meat handling, storage, etc.

If you have opague spotting in your meat it's a humidity abuse issue. You probably didn't get it dry evenly... it looked like you put it in plastic bags.... plastic bags are a bad idea unless your in direct contact with water for a longer period of time. Cheese cloth bags work much better. Now that you're into hunting and are successful... get some large ones and tuck them into your pack for when you need them.

You don't need to age deer, especially if you're cutting it up yourself. Aging is to increase tenderness in a product, and it has to do with ATP turning into lactic acid and that product breaking down collagen and connective tissue to create a more tender product.

But deer doesn't have enough ATP in it to make any kind of difference. You don't need to age deer, pork, lamb, poultry, etc. Larger animals like beef, elk, moose and bison... yes... but not deer. Get it, cool it (to 4 Celcius or below down to zero)... then cut it

also using the plastic containers, once melting they can supply potable water.

Hang over a cool running creek in the shade If temps are too high. Last moose hunt day time highs were up to +11 but night got down to zero or cooler. Meat was in the shade for 6 days and was absolutely great. Put on the cheese cloth fame bags and let air flow around the meat as much as possible. DONT wrap a tarp or plastic bags around the meat. Air circulation is vital.

Build yourself a wooden rack for the bottom of your cooler. Make it high enough so you can fit block ice under it. Good for a warm ride home.

Thanks for the great info guys. As a relatively new hunter myself I have also been curious about this. Fortunately my hunts have been in cool enough weather or there was a butcher closeby. Another option we had was to find a local butcher and pay them to keep it cool for you in their freezer until you are ready for the drive home. Did this once in Dawson with an Elk and they charged next to nothing, worth every penny to not have to stress about it. Picked it up right before we left and drove it direct to the meat cutter I normally use in my hometown.