Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on meat handling, storage, etc.

Questions on meat handling, storage, etc.

Hi All,

After 3 trips with my hunting buddies, we finally got a 2 point buck! We're all complete newbs who'd never hunted before, even though we're all older (35+).

My buddy made a clean shot, buck went down and stayed down. We managed to gut it pretty cleanly. We carried it to the road, threw it in the back of the truck, took it up a hill till we found a big tree off the roads and used a come a long to hang the deer. Skinned it pretty easily and then cut it up into sections - head, neck, chest, 2 front legs and the rear two legs we left attached together. This way we could fit the parts in bags and toss in our coolers on ice, as we had 2 more tags, had seen more bucks and permission from our wives to stay out for a few more days. From being shot to going in the coolers, I'd guess 3 hours max.

We drained the coolers that evening as cooling the meat down melted some ice. We also topped up the ice. Meat was near frozen.

Where we were, a guy had a deer hanging for 3 days before he took it to a place with a walk in cooler. We didn't think hanging the deer outside was good as the daytime temps got into double digits.

Got home within 3 days and started to butcher up the meat. Noticed that some parts of the meat was water logged or perhaps spoiled as it was a light brown colour instead of the deep red of the rest of the meat. Did not smell off and the rest of the meat is good (I cooked some up last night, pretty awesome). The light brown meat was mostly on the front legs and was only about 10% of those. But we don't want to have any waste as we started hunting for only two reasons - to spend more time outdoors with our friends and to eat the meat.

So, two questions:

1) I'm thinking that perhaps we made a mistake somewhere in storing the meat that caused the small amount of waste. Perhaps putting the meat in plastic bags perhaps? Maybe next time rig up a rack above the ice in the coolers and put the meat on those? Could someone point out the mistake or give some guidance?

2) Also, I think next time we will do more of the butchering while the thing is hanging and leave the majority of the carcass in the bush. Because now we are stuck with a chest cavity, pelvis and such to dispose of and it won't fit in my garbage bins! I could easily remove the head, the front legs and neck meat, the filets (psoas on the inside), the loins, the hams and such of the rear legs in just a few more minutes than it took to cut the deer into sections. Is this a good idea - as long as we leave the carcass out in the bush and retain evidence of sex (I think I could leave it attached to one of the hams) and the head for species and antlers, we should be good? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Questions on meat handling, storage, etc.

Generally you want it cool and dry. If it's got good air circulation around the quarters it will firm up and form a sort of hard "crust" which is what you want. Bacteria flourish in warm, wet conditions. If you can dry the meat out and keep it cool it lasts a long time hanging.

sounds like wet meat...wont hurt you to eat it, but as mentioned try to keep it dry if you can. nothing wrong with hanging a deer for multiple days outside, its cool enough throughout most of the day and definitely at night to keep the meat at a cool temperature! congrats on the buck!

What they said.
    Check out some videos on the "Gutless Method" on YouTube. No reason to pack a spine and intact chest cavity home. You can still get all the meat as well as the ribs quite easily. Actually I find it easier to separate all parts in the field as you will have to do it eventually anyways.

At this time of year there should be no problems hanging a deer outside even if temperatures get up to 12-14 degrees. Just find a shady spot. You are better off hanging it "dry" in warmer temps than putting it on ice. As for identification, you harvested it in an any buck season, so antlers are not necessary but, leaving part of the testicles or penis attached is, as well as the tail. If you learn to do the gutless method, get yourself a bunch of pillow cases to store and hang the meat. Don't fill the cases up too much as the more that is in it, the longer the inside meat will take to cool.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Even in the double digits a deer hung in the shade of trees securely bagged in a cotton meat bag will keep well.

It sounds like your meat didn't have a chance to cool thoroughly before it went in the cooler. But as others have said, the dampness is not good.
    Last edited by MichelD; 10-09-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Don't put meat into plastic bags.....

Congrats on the deer!

Ok gutless method looks cool. I guess my idea of rigging up a tray in the coolers to keep the meat off the ice could help.

Thanks guys!

What about using a few frozen 4L milk containers (filled with water, not milk)? Take two or three coolers and use a few of the frozen jugs in each. Also can take a couple of cooling racks (like what you use for cooling cookies after baking) and put the meat bags on these, that way the meat will be above any water at the bottom of the cooler. Big blocks of ice thaw slower than bags of ice.

Ajr5406, this is pretty much my thoughts as well. I typically use frozen milk jugs full of water or 2L soda bottles. But this trip my buddy had his trailer with his freezer so I didn't prep fully. Next year I know!