Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hunting with big bore air rifle, legal or illegal?

Re: Hunting with big bore air rifle, legal or illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Just saying if that's the muzzle velocity only, at 60 yards it diminish greatly and be a bee sting to a deer. I have a 1200 ft per second 22 air pistol and on a longer shot I can see the dro, in which equates to velocity loss which equals less impact. It's really just physics.
    Like I said, be careful, your knowledge is showing....

But please tell me more about your 22 cal 1200fps air pistol, and perhaps explain how an 18gr pellet out of an air pistol correlates to the ballistics of a 400gr pellet at 800 fps, or even a 265gr at 1000 fps, and how that would amount to a “bee sting at 60 yards”.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Like I said, be careful, your knowledge is showing....

But please tell me more about your 22 cal 1200fps air pistol, and perhaps explain how an 18gr pellet out of an air pistol correlates to the ballistics of a 400gr pellet at 800 fps, or even a 265gr at 1000 fps, and how that would amount to a “bee sting at 60 yards”.

holy fuq guys, just my opinion and what I’ve seen, possibly we are crossed in communication?
    how about this, look at any brand new pack of bullets, look at the velocities at the back, is the muzzle velocity the same as the velocity at 100 yards?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    Definition of firearm from the Synopsis (pg. 3)...

Firearm - includes a device that propels a projectile by means of an explosion, compressed gas or spring and includes a rifle, shotgun, handgun, pellet gun, "BB" gun or spring gun but does not include a bow.
    Ok.

What is the legal definition of a Shotgun?

This is a serious question.
    I've asked around here in Alberta regarding our Ab. regulations.
    Alberta gov can't provide an answer, neither can the firearm lawyers I posed the question to.

I suspect the same may be true for BC.

Why is that a serious question?
    There is a dictionary definition
    and in BC hunting regs there is mention of 'firearms using shot only' or 'shot only area'
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Why is that a serious question?
    There is a dictionary definition
    and in BC hunting regs there is mention of 'firearms using shot only' or 'shot only area'
    It's wintertime and fireside chat time, so please allow for some banter.
    The seriousness of the question pertaining to BC depends on the answer to this question.

Does BC have any Shotgun only big game seasons or areas where single projectile ammunition is allowed?

If not, then the original question is less "serious", even though I am still serious about requesting an answer to it.

FYI, the US has a federal legal definition of a shotgun, derived from old dictionary sources.
    A shotgun is a smoothbore, firing shot. Technically, any rifled "shotgun" is not a shotgun.
    It appears to be that Canada does not have a legal definition of a shotgun.
    A court could possibly defer to the US definition, or not.

This situation does come into play in Alberta where we have some Shotgun seasons, without a legal definition of a shotgun.
    The province states that rifled barrels are ok on a shotgun, single projectiles are allowed, the caliber limitations are greater than .410 up to 10 gauge (.770).
    Single shot, pump, bolt, auto, all good. Cartridge design undescribed, brass cases are fine in a shotgun.

So, this technically this could include firearms such as the 416 Rigby, .50 Beowulf, 700 Nitro Express.
    In Alberta, these appear to be legal "shotguns" in our shotgun only seasons....

No Alberta court has dealt with this matter, so no legal answer is available.

Banter away
    BC likely realized the grey-area so were careful about the wording when it comes to shot or single projectile and such
    Is a 'slug' a single 'shot' ? hmmm
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Banter away
    BC likely realized the grey-area so were careful about the wording when it comes to shot or single projectile and such
    Is a 'slug' a single 'shot' ? hmmm
    According to the synopsis (cause it's not mentioned in the regs themselves), anything less than 8 projectiles in the cartridge isn't "shot".