Thread: Recurve arrow flight unstable...spine?

Recurve arrow flight unstable...spine?

Hello guys,

I am getting pretty frustrated with my arrow flight out of my 50# takedown; I am pulling 28" so the 50# is pretty accurate.

The bow has been great for me but when I purchased these carbon arrows, they seem to be fish-tailing in a pretty consistent manner. At about 5-7yrds, they will hit target and the nock will be pointed at an angle towards the left...at about 15-20yrds the nock will be pointed to the right as pictured.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I SHOOT LEFT HANDED

I am really not sure what the heck is going on but when I shoot my cheaper easton 1916 arrows, they flight straight and hit straight.

The arrows are PSE stl hunter 200 cut to 29-1/2" with 100gr tips. According to the chart on the bottom of the website, these arrows should have the perfect spine for my draw weight etc. http://pse-archery.com/shop/carbon-f...e-arrows-1-dz/

This is what they look like at 20 yrds

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Recurve arrow flight unstable...spine?

I just did a little research because I do not know PSE arrows so well and how their spine numbers work……I looked and I found nothing so all I can suggest is to bare shaft them.

Apologies if you know this but I will presume you don't.

First of all, you are on vanes so I will presume you are shooting from an elevated rest and not the shelf. You cannot *really shoot vanes off the shelf and that would be a reason, off the shelf you need feathers

*you can shoot vanes from a shelf with very careful tuning (for the internet heroes out there!)

Secondly, are you happy with your own technique as bare shaft tuning requires solid form to get consistent results?

Try this

Sacrifice one of your arrows by removing the fletchings and shoot it, starting at under 10m and move out.

This will tell you all you need to know and your results, being a lefty will be:

if your arrow is weak, they will kicking out nock right (impacting left) and you can remedy this, if length allows by cutting them.

If your arrow is stiff the it will be nock left with a right impact and this can be remedied with a heavier point within reason.

And then if your arrows are nock high or low then adjust your locators to suit………and then there's and combination of the above!

Hope this helps as it's a frustrating game to play getting a bow set up at the beginning.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info,

I am shooting off an elevated rest and I cut off the vanes from one of my arrows. The arrow is 100% going into the target on the right side with the nock almost at a 45* to the left...

Too stiff it looks like!!!!

Boom!

Point weight?

100gr,

Should I stick to some of the 400 powerflights you mentioned earlier?

A couple of options…..

You could buy new arrows……that's why it sucks not having decent stores scattered around the province to help you with things like this.

I might still have some heavier points (100's are pretty light) I might still have some heavier ones (IIRC I have some 145's, 175's and 200's somewhere as well as lots of 125s) I could send you if I find them

The PSE hunter X weave 200's are (.424 spine). You should be able to straighten them out with heavier points like Outsyder said. My opinion that you could also go with 500 spine arrows with a lighter point, 100 or 125gr, depending on cut length, if you wanted to have a lighter arrow. Sure would be nice to be able to go to an archery shop with your bow and try some different spined arrows and point weights, bare shaft, before you choose.

I think your arrows are too stiff

here is a great explaination that everyone should be able to understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zewtuUM_0
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask