Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: practice birds

Question practice birds

Does anyone have a contact for purchasing live pheasants / grouse or other game birds for training purposes? Preferably either in the lowermainland, Merritt, or Princeton.

I've googled but not had any luck.

I want to run my mutt on some flightless birds to get him tracking and working on his points.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: practice birds

There is a place here on the island that sellls phesants, I think its called hidden valley farms, in merville, might be a bit pricey.

Try using pigeons w/ clipped wings. Squab farm is just a call away.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

didn't think of pigeons... do you trap them yourself or purchase?

When I was a kid of 12, we used to climb up to their roosts (barn) and catch them with a fishing net. I have NO IDEA if this would fly in today's world.

I know there are commercial meat farms in the valley here. Can't recall any names though. If you can track on down, there would be a good chance of picking up culls/injured/deformed birds for cheap.

What about chickens?

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Go to your local mail order chicken supplier (most are where animal feed is sold). They have catalogues to pick eating and egg laying chickens from. In these catalogues you can order Pheasant chicks. My grandparents neighbour used to raise them and release them.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I trap pigeons here in Richmond with a salmon net and some seed. Just find a flock and spread some seed around. When they gather at your feet and are busy feeding, throw the net over them.

Trapping the birds is the easy part- dealing with people who think pigeons are on the endangered list and should be left alone, is another. I've had people walking by threaten to call the police when they see me collect the birds with a net.

I don't clip the wings. I use manual bird launchers and plant the launchers for the dog to find. When he points one, I walk over and launch the bird. If you want to "recycle" the bird, tie a 12" string with a small piece of carboard to its leg. They won't go far with that attached.

It all sounds pretty simple, but when I do it, something usually manages to go sideways. First time I tried it, I lost 3 birds one by one, between the net and the launchers. Still lots of fun, if you can keep your sense of humour.

I've had people walking by threaten to call the police when they see me collect the birds with a net.
    So what do you do ?? Just show them your permit ? Or is this on private land ?

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...stoueste.shtml

This is a list of some of the hatcheries in bc. I got mine from Thiessen Game Birds in Abbotsford for $5/bird, most others are $6.

thanks for the link bruin - I like the idea of pigeons, that way I can just release them once I'm finished and don't need to worry about keeping them.

I'll try and trap some this weekend and see were it goes from there