Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on what I am doing wrong

Advice on what I am doing wrong

I have hunted for four seasons and feel like I must be doing something wrong on location selection. Got lots of grouse but no large animals.
    So far I have hunted
    Ashlu fsr
    Rutherford fsr
    Mamquam fsr

I spent three weekend hunts in those locations. Lots of bear sign (including getting charged by a grizzly haha) but no deer.
    Mostly hunting at the valley elevation to 700m. All these trips where in first week of Nov. I am hunting off the road on old deactivated fsr.

Tamihi fsr is the other trip I have taken. This one was a bit of a waste with how much atv traffic there was. Once again valley elevation to around 800m.

This year I am looking for black bear and mule deer. Grouse would be nice too. My truck isn't the most off road capable but I am happy to hike.

Not looking for anyone's specific honey hole. I know I need to put the work in and love spending the weekend searching a new area. After four years with no success I feel like I may be starting at the wrong locations though. I was thinking of leaving the lower mainland even further but have no experience outside of the coast mountains.

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Advice on what I am doing wrong

Here's my three bits of advice:
    1) Forget about hunting in the S2S. We really only have Low density blacktail populations (and the hunting is only good when the weather is the worst). Blackbear hunting is good here though.
    2) You need to put in alot more time. Learning how to hunt without a mentor is a full time job. Hunt every weekend you can if you want to be successful. Book your vacation in the fall.
    3) Go where the deer are (and the rest of 604 hunters): Region 8

Get into your area that is nice and quiet and away from traffic, watch for sign (tracks, droppings, rubs, etc.) relax, sit quietly, and pay attention without movement just use your eyes and ears. When you do move from spot to spot walk quietly and slowly take a step and then pause and wait a bit before taking another step, look for anything that moves like an ear or the flick of a tail, horizontal shapes, etc. If you feel like you're going too slow, slow down and go slower!
    MM

Try hiking the ridges and work the edge where there is a change in vegetation from fir trees to willows or grass. Think about wind direction when approaching,hard to do that sometimes with swirling winds. Be patient and move slow and relax. Once it starts to happen it start to make sense. Hunting in November look for does,good chance bucks are around. Good luck

Go inland, Kamloops, Okanogan valley, Princeton in Sept or Oct. More game, more chances of success. Hunt where you see lots of fresh tracks.

Looks like I'm heading to region 8, thanks for the help!

Good call on putting more time in. I'll make sure to do that this year!
    Thanks for the help

Closer to home there are some great burns in the southwest corner of Region 3. If I was you I’d head there for the mule deer rut in November.
    Hike and glass the steep draws.
    Weather could turn at anytime so be prepared.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Persistence is #1. The more you get out there, the more chances you’re gonna get.

It’s time consuming and expensive (gas). But that is the reality of it.

Look at regions 3 and 8. Get out 3 hours or so from Vancouver. Pick a couple areas with intention of getting to know them inside out for a few years. Good luck

I find in high pressure areas it is best to find some steeper cliffs in a hard to reach spot and the black tails will hide out there a lot more. Just got to learn to recognize these areas and be patient and sit in a good spot for an hour or two before first or last light.

If it’s windy and rainy you can hike slowly through the area too just mind your wind.