Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoked Salmon Brine

Smoked Salmon Brine

Hey HBC

I have smoked at lot of salmon in the past and am happy with the results, however lately my salmon hasn't been forming a pellicle when I take it out of the brine and let it sit. It use to and I don't think I am doing any thing different?

My brine is 3 parts brown sugar 1part course salt, I don't add water since there is plenty after the fish sits for a day.

Without the pellicle forming the salmon still tastes good but will occasionally dry out the outer layer, almost looks freezer burnt (which it is not).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ryan
    KCCO

2. Site Sponsor

guest Guest

Re: Smoked Salmon Brine

Ryan, I smoke a lot of salmon, various ways ..... Except this year due to tough fishing or my lack of catching haha. I do use a water brine added to the same mix as yours, and brine for 12 to 24 hours, however. I spice it up a lot, maple flavouring, dill, onions, garlic. What I do after brined though, I rinse it off, then set on smoker rack and fan it up to 24 hours depending on thickness in a cool dark place. Then I smoke it. I cut my big springs after filleted into chunks no wider then 1 1/2 inches wide. The fanning seems to put a glaze like seal on the fish. At times, I remove the skin too prior to brine but less soak time then. All the folks that I'm serving too seem to come back for more. My 2 cents.
    CT

The last few batches ive done i have changed up how i do it, it used to just be brown sugar and course salt, now I use 2 cups of dark brown sugar to 1 cup of kosher salt, about a gallon of water and however much maple syrup you want, ill usually sprinkle half the batch with course black pepper after i take it out of the brine. I brine it for a day- a day and a half depending how lazy I am at the time. Since i started doing ut this way I've been getting a way better product and it seems to last longer.

Not sure rhyno, sounds like your doing it right to get pellicle. Maybe just needs more time to dry. Anyone try using whisky in their brine ?

I throw a fan on to speed up the process of forming the pellicle.

Sometimes I run a fan over it to get more air flow.

Thanks for the advice, I have a batch thawing right now. I will try adding some water to the brine and use a fan when it is resting.....come to think of it, that might be the missing link. Pretty sure I use to do that.

Will let ya know how it's turns out. Cheers
    KCCO

Skip the brine and just cover you salmon with the salt/sugar mix. Put on cookie sheet with a rack underneath to give the liquid somewhere to go. Cover and put in fridge overnight. Rinse off in morning, pat dry with a clean towel. As others have said, put a fan on it to speed up the process. I do it both ways. Liquid brine and dry cure. I prefer the dry cure.

Drying is most important
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Thumbs up Re: Smoked Salmon Brine

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Drying is most important
    Run the fans.
    I run two over a batch and usually for a few hours (dependent on size of run).
    It cannot help but to form the pellicle. Can't "over-dry" doing this so have at 'er.

Setting up for another Monster Run myself (having just returned from an offshore for the final time this year).

Let us know how it goes...

Cheers,
    Nog - Wet Brine Man
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me