Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Billy scouting

Re: Billy scouting

You bet, goats are very interesting how they can soak up a bullet like nothing happened!

I used the 264wm with 140 Berger. Originally we were set up watching the two billies feed our way, started at 550yds and got to 450 and mine decided to bed quartered hard towards us, questionable shot. Turned the phoneskope on to record and ran down got set up with him slightly quartering to 400 yds uphill still bedded. Phone ran out of memory just before I squeezed unfortunately. Let him have it but somehow missed hard bone and didn't shock spine, he jumped up turned other way broadside on 3 legs. I knew he was hit good but after 10sec I double shouldered him sending him tumbling, wished I'd a just let him lie back down as he found some rocks to roll into lol. First shot was in front of shoulder mid height through lungs missed opposite shoulder and clipped offside liver. Second was high through both scapulas coming to rest opposite hide. Just didn't hit high enough first shot to keep him bedded. I've had good success lately shooting game out their bed in the high country, cheaper on taxi bill lol. But mountain goats are a different beast!

Exactly what I was lookin for, thanks for posting!! Sounds like the Bergers performed perfectly.

I am a big fan of bedded shots, especially when I'm higher then the goat, a goat can care less if your above them, and usually gives a gooder angle for judging the horns against his white body.

We took 2 goats on our last trip there, the other hunter we watched from the lake threw the spotter. His goat was young, not a huge body. The hunter was shooting a 338, the first 3 shots were right on the money behind the shoulder, each shot knocked the goat about 15' down the hill, but never lost it's footing, the 4th shot hit hi shoulder and the goat buckled. Iv never been on a successful grizzly hunt, but ime, them mountain goats are the toughest animals iv ever delt with.

My leh is burning in my pocket here, hopefully soon I'll be well enough to get out and up there. Being laid up is making me a dull boy.

Wow 3 .338 pills and still standing! I've pretty much decided a guy has to break a shoulder to anchor em in 1 shot. I did lay one down with the .264 in one shot without hitting bone, exploded heart though. Tough to replicate that at 400+ yds lol, scapula is my target. Don't seem to lose hardly any meat either, but the lower velocity I'm sure helps save meat.

Speedy recovery and good luck!
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Missed all this way to go D. What happened to that clean cut dude I used to know you furry bugger! hahaha. Good camo so there ya go. Congrats on the Billy looks like you earned it
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Thanks Dan. That's my kill beard ha, and 5 years straight clean shaven for the Rigs it's a nice break from the razor!
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Nice work!

I guess I missed this thread haha, but nice goat!! I'm really hoping 2017 is my year for a billy. If you need a goat hunt'n partner next year let me know

Great coat on him by the way, just watched the video. That is sweet.

Thanks smallfry. Always seem to be looking for somebody dumb enough to come goat hunting HA!

LOL ain't that the truth!