Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Penask plateau windmills

Re: Penask plateau windmills

Metro van built an expensive facility at Annacis island to accept waste for the digesters at the wastewater plant but it sits idle cuz of the private one out in abbotsford is cheaper for the waste producers to go there than the wastewater treatment plant.....can you say white elephant....

The Abbotsford flea market is heated with methane from the old garbage dump. My father used to have to check on the compressors.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger#1 View Post
    That is all from building nuclear weapons not nuclear power plants and is all over 6 decades old now, it was even before chernobyl, so obviously technology wasn't where it is today, could likely all have been stored and handled better...

What about burning all our garbage in incinerators to produce power rather than filling the ground in giant landfills? 2 birds with one stone?

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    What about burning all our garbage in incinerators to produce power rather than filling the ground in giant landfills? 2 birds with one stone?
    There was a recent proposal to do that, but Nanaimo City Council refused it.

Schizophrenic reasoning at its best.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Moved here from an area in southern Manitoba where windfarms have become common place over the last 10 years. Saw the same concern and resistance to them when they were first put up there. After a couple years, people and animals got used to them and though they were initially imposing on the skyline, they're now like highway speed limit signs in BC, they largely go unnoticed
    I was up on Bear Creek FSR hunting a week ago and saw the Windmills under construction, and I had a quick feeling of concern about the man made addition to the landscape. A few minutes to adjust and some thought and common sense, and I saw it as a cleaner source of power to keep the lights on and the furnace running, a useful directional beacon from any hilltop in the area, and a step in the right direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post

Yea, there was also plans to build an incinerator to burn old railroad ties to produce electricity somewhere in the interior here too but it got squashed because some people thought it would cause too much pollution... People must think of how bad stuff was during the industrial revolution before anything was filtered/scrubbed when they oppose this kind of stuff...

heres what they look like as of last weekend
    I hunt here, sure theyre not " pretty" but id rather see these then burning coal or diesel...

seems i cant upload the pict
    Last edited by Fixit; 10-04-2016 at 04:00 PM.
    half the people in this world are below average intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post

Not schizophrenic reasoning. Most of us in Nanaimo figured the garbage should be burned in Vancouver where it was generated. A much greener proposal as it would avoid the environmental impact of trucking and barging it to Nanaimo. Vancouver even had a location suggested but didn't like the idea. Now that's schizo thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by orion View Post
    Not schizophrenic reasoning. Most of us in Nanaimo figured the garbage should be burned in Vancouver where it was generated. A much greener proposal as it would avoid the environmental impact of trucking and barging it to Nanaimo. Vancouver even had a location suggested but didn't like the idea. Now that's schizo thinking.
    The smoke would've blown across Georgia Strait and ended up in Abbottsford anyhow. Better not let any high-paying industrial jobs on Van Isle.

If you want to live like a hippy, peace be with you. But don't expect me to join you or rescue you from its consequences. I'll be road hunting around my bait piles.
    Last edited by Surrey Boy; 10-04-2016 at 09:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..