Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Penask plateau windmills

Re: Penask plateau windmills

A great source of renewable energy is bark mulch and woodchips. Way too much gets burnt for no reason other than to get rid of it. Shove that up your steam turbine.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Air pollution is an eyesore. You have to start building infrastructure somewhere. Id prefer covering the ridges of the north shore mountains since the largest power comsumption is the LML.
    Green energy is the future people, wake the f--k up.
    YOU wake up. China is the future. India is the future. Western Civilization is done.

Asia's becoming great because they're not afraid of using what works. They don't buy what they can't afford. They aren't enabling their burdensome citizens to the point where those undesireables run the place.

Ontario is a great example of how well green energy works. And how naive Canadians are.

Don't be so naive.
    Last edited by Surrey Boy; 10-01-2016 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Did these just get erected in the last two weeks? We saw what looked to be the vertical column pieces on very very long low bed trailers along the side of the highway while returning from a hunt on the 17th.

Air pollution is an eyesore. You have to start building infrastructure somewhere. Id prefer covering the ridges of the north shore mountains since the largest power comsumption is the LML.
    Green energy is the future people, wake the f--k up.
    There's a wind turbine at the top of Grouse. I've never seen it spinning. Maybe during a storm.

Green energy is a crock because it's intermittent -- for every megawatt of solar or wind you a megawatt of backup [fossil fuel] power. Energy production and consumption need to be in perfect balance. Every watt generated must be consumed instantly. If you have some small projects (15MW) then the North American power grid is big enough to deal with it (because it's too small to matter).

A little project like Pennask mainly generates government tax credits and incentives. Good money in that.

Lots if "I heard this" on the topic. Part of what gun dog says is true about having backup power, but you don't need fossil fuel to back it up. Hydro, which we have lots of, can be turned on and off fairly quickly or compensate. I agree biomass is also a good idea, since we already have the bark/chips being burned, but these plant rarely run at capacity either. The dirt in the wood from skidding the logs turns to glass when it is fired and coats the boiler tubes making them less efficient. Usually it has to be shut down and chipped off by hand.
    Ontario is great if you are a power producer. Some wind farms make $200/MW there. Solar contracts are around $600/MW. Problem is someone is still paying for that. The consumer gets screwed with having to pay for it. Most wind farms in Canada are also subsidized by your federal tax money. Up to $15/MW of power produced, so you all buy green power whether you like it or not. Now you can all feel good about caring for the environment.
    As far as animals go, it won't be the wind turbines that affect the animals. They really do get used to the turbines quickly. The increased traffic and access that the win park brings to the area will affect the wildlife patterns the most.
    As for aesthetics, I agree they aren't really pleasing to look at, but neither is a nuclear plant in your backyard.
    ln order to hit the fossil fuel reduction targets that our country agreed to, we need to think small scale, as in every house, generates a portion of their own power consumption, but we are a long ways from an integrated grid that will allow for this. Just my thoughts... Look on the bright side. The wind park life span is only 20 to 25 years.

BC has a ton of hydropower potential. Hydro is green, and can be throttled quickly. Solar and wind need backup capacity. These wind projects are going to cost money, not make it. They exist to milk tax $.
    BC needs nothing other than scrap wood turbines and hydro.
    There is a parallel project going on near chain lakes, look on ZEDs website, it's called Shinish Creek. Right in the middle of where I hunt, so not happy about that.

They look like great fire starters.

https://youtu.be/wfzgIxMEo8g

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    YOU wake up. China is the future. India is the future. Western Civilization is done.

Asia's becoming great because they're not afraid of using what works. They don't buy what they can't afford. They aren't enabling their burdensome citizens to the point where those undesireables run the place.

Ontario is a great example of how well green energy works. And how naive Canadians are.

Don't be so naive.
    Have a good read. More money down the toilet.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...lans-1.3780440

You ever been to china? I have and the general population suffers with a toxic enviroment. Seems great to be walking around with mask on just to breathe outside... id rather see tax dollars go to green infrastructure than huge subsidies to oil companies... Why dont we just start burning coal again because its cheap?

You ever been to china? I have and the general population suffers with a toxic enviroment. Seems great to be walking around with mask on just to breathe outside... id rather see tax dollars go to green infrastructure than huge subsidies to oil companies... Why dont we just start burning coal again because its cheap?
    What are their pollution standards?