Thread: New guys

New guys

Hi, Just saying “hi” to everybody, I’ve just joined HuntingBC this month, been reading all great posts for a while now - and it is an amazing source of information!

I got my firearms permit and hunting license in Victoria years ago, but somehow I wasn’t very active (however I miss my Springfield 30-06 very much!)….until now, when my older son (17y.o) expressed interest in hunting and firearms in general. So, we both attended the course and are awaiting our licenses (I’ve checked the web page today and the initial process was completed, whatever that means, lol). It seemed like a good idea, because now my teenager actually speaks to me in full sentences when we talk about hunting, firearms, trips, equipment etc., ha, ha (teenagers, sigh)

I was wondering-would you be so kind and recommend a good source (a book or a web page/webinar), so I could learn some more about BC small/big game? I’ve found a post recommending “The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game”, so is there some other good source of information for hunters?

Also, if by any chance, anybody would feel like mentoring a couple of new guys, so we could join to observe and learn – that would be just awesome. We live in Vancouver, are fairly fit (well, my son is very fit), are not afraid of long hikes (we actually spend a lot of time outdoors, but it’s all hiking in BC Parks), don't have ATVs-so it is more a hike in/out experience, have Subaru Outback-so we are able to get into places and enthusiastic.

Thanks!
    Pawel

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New guys

Welcome to HBC!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Welcome and great car!

Welcome to HBC, if you want to learn you are in the right place Don't be scared to ask questions and good luck in your adventures

Thanks for your welcome, yes-this site is addicting! In a good way

Welcome to the site Pawel, it is a great resource. You can literally spend dozens of hours researching the information you seek, without even leaving these pages.

Hunting is not about learning everything there is to know as quickly as you can learn it. Teenagers can be a bit impatient to kill stuff, but you really need to both invest a few years learning how much you don't know. I suggest hunting bears first because there are lots of bears all over BC, but take a deer tag with you also because you never know...

Drive to the woods, start hiking, look for sign, then look for fresh sign, then learn to sit still or, better yet, walk quietly and SLOWLY.

Honestly, you will learn more from a mentor after a season or two of trying it on your own. Hunting is truly about the journey, not the destination.

Again, welcome!

^^^^^what he said...and welcome! There's lots you can learn as he said by just getting out on your own without someone teaching you the ropes- I did, and lots do...for books I recommend anything written by Jack O Connor, it's not pertaining to BC but you can learn a lot..and for anybody that hunts whitetails, I recommend reading 'Whitetail Advantage'...