Thread: Target shooting areas in lower mainland

Target shooting areas in lower mainland

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share any places that I could legally sight in my rifle and target shoot in the bush, preferably anywhere from Squamish to Chilliwack. I am aware that there are places in Squamish and near Stave Lake, but I am looking more for specifics. I've shot at most of the ranges on the lower mainland before as well and I know they are there! Whenever I do ask people this question answers are usually very vague or unhelpful. Feel free to PM me as well if you would like.

Thanks ahead of time!

Ben

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Target shooting areas in lower mainland

I'd use the search function. This question has been asked a hundred times.

I am aware of that, but thank you for the tip.

Has anyone been up around furry creek?

I would say to properly sight in your rifle is to head to a range.

Mission Rod and Gun,for example, is a good spot, but I'm sure you already know that....

Yeah Ive heard of them, thanks

They are really trying to limit shooting access at Furry Creek and Britannia. It isn't illegal if you get far enough off 99 but it is definitely not convenient.

Mamquam FSR (turn right, just after the climber's parking lot, then take the second left instead of heading up Indian River FSR)has a few pits on the right hand side 5-10kms in. Look for the shot up TVs.

Please don't leave a mess. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Thank you! Good info

Hi, just being "a devil's advocate" and also a new at this - if one takes a rifle for sight in and target shooting to a secure outdoor area (proper back drop, distance from the road etc.) outside of hunting season - would/could that activity be perceived as "hunting" by CO? I've been reading some posts here when a CO was issuing a warning to somebody holding a rifle inside a vehicle without actually having hunter's license or a road block by RCMP/CO checking documents etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PawelB View Post
    Hi, just being "a devil's advocate" and also a new at this - if one takes a rifle for sight in and target shooting to a secure outdoor area (proper back drop, distance from the road etc.) outside of hunting season - would/could that activity be perceived as "hunting" by CO? I've been reading some posts here when a CO was issuing a warning to somebody holding a rifle inside a vehicle without actually having hunter's license or a road block by RCMP/CO checking documents etc.
    They "could" but have more important things to do. If you are set up with a table/bench and targets set up and its clear what you are doing then I highly doubt they they would. Now if you are walking thru the bush in como clothes and carrying a rifle it might be hard to claim target shooting unless your target is wild life.