Thread: Arrow heads

Arrow heads

Hello I have a question about the heads coming off the arrow when you pull the arrow out of the target.
    I am new to using a bow and shot mine for the first time today. When I went to pull the arrows out from the target the head would stay inside the target and I was left with just the arrow?

Why does this happen and hoe do I prevent this from happening again?
    Thank you!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Arrow heads

Did you cement the inserts into the arrow shaft correctly? Without knowing what exactly separated from what, I'm thinking that might be the issue.

https://youtu.be/4PNkhGqkGA4
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

I'm guessing you bought the arrows pre-made?

Either way, get all the points/inserts out and re-glue them with gorilla glue or epoxy. Even better if you can get your hands on some "Insert Iron" but its not a good idea to cheap out on the glues.

FWIW, I have found Hotmelt is not worth s*** and CA glues not much better being hard and brittle.

Some shafts are bad for adhesion "off the shelf" and need a clean with some good cleaner and I got a tool for purpose for cleaning and roughing the insides, I found Gold-tips were pretty bad for that until I worked it out and I never had an issue from 100's made

These arrows came with the bow and was the first time using it. One can assume the previous owner didn't cement them in with good glue I guess.
    Guess I will go to Cabela's and talk to the archery guys and buy more arrow heads.
    Kind sucks practicing with only 1 arrow!
    On a side note. After shooting today for the first time ever. I am officially hooked on shooting bows and can't wait to go bowhunting next season!