Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't anybody fish the mouth of the Squamish?

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Why doesn't anybody fish the mouth of the Squamish?

Both the internet and the guiding business have, do, and will ruin good fishing
    lakes and streams. Just read some of the threads and posts on here asking for
    specific spots or information. Many don't realize just how many 'surfers' are able
    to gather sensitive information that's posted in good faith. As for the guides....
    it's all business to them and many have no qualms about depleting a lake or stream
    if they can make money. I know of a beautiful smallish lake in the Cariboo that had
    excellent fishing for very good sized trout. A guide found out about it and brought in
    his many clients which depleted the lake in just a couple of years because they kept
    every fish they hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    When I lived in Squamish 9 years ago we tried numerous times but the fricken winds were a fishermans worst enemy in Howe Sound..We had better luck off Furry Creek and Defense Islands.
    Of all replies so far, this is the only one that actually addressed the question. Fishing from a boat, in the chuck, at the mouth of the Squamish. Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the winds around here. At least they blow up and down the sound... can always fish downwind then upwind.

I've fished the rivers here for years and watched the mudslinging when the internet discovered the system. Still, if a guy can't find a place to fish by himself he isn't trying very hard.

That said, the level of pressure is probably commensurate with the size of the runs. The Vedder is a gong show because too many fish go up there. When I fish around here I don't get disturbed by too many fish or too many anglers. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Both the internet and the guiding business have, do, and will ruin good fishing
    lakes and streams. Just read some of the threads and posts on here asking for
    specific spots or information. Many don't realize just how many 'surfers' are able
    to gather sensitive information that's posted in good faith. As for the guides....
    it's all business to them and many have no qualms about depleting a lake or stream
    if they can make money. I know of a beautiful smallish lake in the Cariboo that had
    excellent fishing for very good sized trout. A guide found out about it and brought in
    his many clients which depleted the lake in just a couple of years because they kept
    every fish they hooked.
    Lew, I only know one of the local guides but he is a fanatical conservationist. If they were all like him the industry wouldn't have such a bad rap.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Lew, I only know one of the local guides but he is a fanatical conservationist. If they were all like him the industry wouldn't have such a bad rap.
    Yes, you're right, there are many fishing guides that do a great job of protecting the resources
    as well as participating in enhancing their environment and improving their quality.
    Unfortunately, as we all know, it only takes one or two that are unscrupulous to ruin a lake or
    stream because of their greed.

Most salmon fishermen are looking to bonk a few keepers each time out. As far as I know, in the case of coho, that there are no hatchery coho in the Squamish to keep. I've heard there are the pinks and chum but these aren't generally a fishermans first choice to bring home. I think that partially explains the lack of interest in this system. The vedder on the other hand provides lots of opportunities for meat.
    Last edited by happyhunter; 09-24-2016 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Stupid phone

Quote Originally Posted by happyhunter View Post
    Most salmon fishermen are looking to bonk a few keepers each time out. As far as I know, in the case of coho, that there are no hatchery coho in the Squamish to keep. I've heard there are the pinks and chum but these aren't generally a fishermans first choice to bring home. I think that partially explains the lack of interest in this system. The vedder on the other hand provides lots of opportunities for meat.
    Bang on.
    Squamish has no meat fishery but the few coho it has are tanks
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

No hatchery coho in the Squamish? I hadn't heard that.

No hatchery coho in the Squamish? I hadn't heard that.

There is a few. But limit 1 per day is not exactly a meat fishery
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Clint is totally a conservationist and I would send anyone his way. Expert fisherman! The wind and access is why no one fishes the mouth. Lived in Squamish all my life and can't remember fishing the mouth, even as a kid. The wind is why I wear my hoodie at work even in the summer. Just have to look at how and why Squamish gets its name.

Over a century of heavy industry in Howe Sound has had its toll on sea-life in the area. Locals in Squamish are saying life is slowly returning to Howe Sound. Orcas and dolphins are being seen in Squamish again according to local news sources.