Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some tips from the Traditional pros

Re: Need some tips from the Traditional pros

Quote Originally Posted by TheProvider View Post
    A shameless plug.... Anyone on facebook I just started a buy/sell group for traditional archery in BC this morning.

~https://www.facebook.com/groups/333746636976951/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/333746636976951/

Great idea Provider ! Wish you well in this endeavor
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Alright, new guy question... Low, medium or high grip?

Quote Originally Posted by TheProvider View Post
    A shameless plug.... Anyone on facebook I just started a buy/sell group for traditional archery in BC this morning.

~https://www.facebook.com/groups/333746636976951/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/333746636976951/

Nice !!!
    I with a couple of friends from Alberta started Archery Buy and sell Canada, I will let the people looking for Trad stuff know about your page
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Don't want to derail your thread Slickfinger, but does anyone use a sight on their traditional? I just bought a traditional and installed a sight with pins on it, but there's no sight bead on the string, and if I'm looking dead on through the sight, my arrow will always go low of course..anyone deal with this?

anchor the same each time ... and then chase the arrow with your sight ... if your hitting low ... then lower you pins
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Don't want to derail your thread Slickfinger, but does anyone use a sight on their traditional? I just bought a traditional and installed a sight with pins on it, but there's no sight bead on the string, and if I'm looking dead on through the sight, my arrow will always go low of course..anyone deal with this?
    In my opinion, and I started my archery career shooting FITA style recurve, bells, whistles and all including a sight……...

Take a look at what kind of sight elite (olympic) recurve archers use and that is your only real (true) sight option as it's pretty much the only thing with big enough range of adjustment for any variation of distance.
    Compounds are way faster than recurves so you can use pins but for a recurve they are not much use and likely only have around 10yds of distance splitting the entire window of the sight.
    If you want to go sighted, go right in and explore the FITA/olympic route.
    There is a "traditional" sight at 3Rivers Archery which is just kind of an elongated ring to just use to tighten your sight picture, which I have seen used and I can see the benefit of this.

Otherwise, leave it! You can get very decent levels of accuracy shoot "Traditional"/barebow or whatever, using your arrow as your sight. Look at the scores the big boys are getting these day shooting bare bow, mind blowing! The High scoring "Traddies" on local 3D shoots are hitting 85-90% effectively shooting a just a bent stick………

But my philosophy when shooting is have as little to clutter me up, I believe in that for all forms of bow shooting…….I get my set-up/tuning out the way and then shoot without a care!

^^^great tips thanks guys..

Ok I'll try again? Low, medium or high grip on a recurve?

The grip is a personal thing. I've tried all of them and like a medium or low grip. Be aware that if your bow is tillered for a high grip and you shoot it with a low grip yer gonna have some issues with limb timing. Don't ask me why I'm an expert on this. See if you can find a way to try all three and then decide.

congratulations on your journey into traditional bowhunting. I assume you are not over bowed and your draw length is 25 " regardless of bow poundage. If that is your draw length all the time I would not shoot a bow over 62" in length and would suggest 60" or 58" as a better choice. If you plan to hunt i would also say try for 50# as a shorter draw length you get less overall "push" on your arrow.. Depending on your budget if you want used bows there are alot of bows for sale on two web sites...TRADGANG and LEATHERWALL...You join and can go to the selling adds...on TRADGANG you have a small fee to join the selling/buying section...on LEATHERWALL it is free . These are traditional archery sites..most members are from USA but are very nice guys and will help you with any questions you have.I would suggest a used Bear GRIZZLY recurve...the grip is medium....as said this is a personal choice.If you plan on hunting with both recurve and longbow..a medium grip or low grip will require less adjusting when switching to longbow and recurve . They are relatively inexpensive used and a good time tested bow. I am new to this site this year but have been hunting traditional for 20 years now. Feel free to send me a private message and I can help you with alot of your journey with equipment or hunting tips...

good luck