Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lowa tibet gtx - how snug is too snug?

lowa tibet gtx - how snug is too snug?

Got a pair of lowa Tibet GTX boots in 11.5 to replace my aging Meindls. Wearing them around the house I can't tell if i should have gone "wide" instead of the "medium" width boots. How can i tell?
    The medium model is their standard, and I believe they are "D" width. The wide model is "EE".

They fit good length wise. Fit well around the toes and heel. Widest part of the foot feels a bit snug though. Can't tell if its just because they're new compared to my old meindls, or if it would end up being too snug and causing issues.
    Anyone have a pair? How much did they stretch after breaking them in? I feel with the full rubber rand around them that they wouldn't be able to stretch much at all.

Foot measures about 4 3/8" at widest point when standing with weight down on the foot.
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 09-22-2016 at 02:46 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: lowa tibet gtx - how snug is too snug?

I own the same boot. They are snug but they are supposed to be. I bought the wide because I have a wide foot. I got blisters breaking them in but break in period as minimal ( about 25miles) and they are the best I've ever worn. Based on what you describe I would say they are fitting the way they are supposed to.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

X2 took me a bit to break them in but they're fine now, very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    I own the same boot. They are snug but they are supposed to be. I bought the wide because I have a wide foot. I got blisters breaking them in but break in period as minimal ( about 25miles) and they are the best I've ever worn. Based on what you describe I would say they are fitting the way they are supposed to.

Lorne
    Thanks! How wide is your foot? Curious how the width compares to mine if you are happy with the wides.

And where did you get blisters? I know every foot is different, but i have a big scar on my heel from a childhood accident and the skin there is way more sensitive than the other heel.

my feet are also 4 3/8 and I'm wearing the hi cut Tibet in 11.5 regular width, snug at first but broke in nicely....the boots give me plenty of versatility to lace them up tighter or looser, thick or double socks, different insole for summer and fall, it's a very good fit for me

really hard to gauge a boots true fit before it's broken in and it really depends on your personal fit, you know best, so maybe worth trying the wide model?

lowas seem to be reported to fit small and have reputation for shrinking (big thread if you search here)...my first pair was size 11, had to get rid of them and get the 11.5....very happy now
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    my feet are also 4 3/8 and I'm wearing the hi cut Tibet in 11.5 regular width, snug at first but broke in nicely....the boots give me plenty of versatility to lace them up tighter or looser, thick or double socks, different insole for summer and fall, it's a very good fit for me

really hard to gauge a boots true fit before it's broken in and it really depends on your personal fit, you know best, so maybe worth trying the wide model?

lowas seem to be reported to fit small and have reputation for shrinking (big thread if you search here)...my first pair was size 11, had to get rid of them and get the 11.5....very happy now

I thought it was the Scarpa boots that had a shrinking issue?

The problem is that you can't afford the luxury of breaking them in, unless you're sure they will still work perfectly after breaking in. Because if they don't you're f***ed. Can't return them then.

I went and ordered a pair of 11.5 in WIDE off the internet, so we'll see when they get here i'll compare and decide which pair to return.

I understand the luxury thing, it's a tough call....any leather boot can have shrinking issues if not cared for properly, but seems to be somewhat common with lowas

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ght=lowa+tibet
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

if they are snug thats good, but keep in mind they're not gonna stretch out much. And as others have mentioned, they will more than likely will shrink in the off season, mine did. to the point where i had to get rid of them.

Well the thread that was linked by BRValley shows them shrinking from being too close to the fire/stove. That i can understand. but i don't understand why they would shrink in the off season. that doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds like a lot of risk and issues for such expensive boots. Maybe i should just stick to my $300 Cabela's Meindls that never shrunk and never even needed a break in period. hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Well the thread that was linked by BRValley shows them shrinking from being too close to the fire/stove. That i can understand. but i don't understand why they would shrink in the off season. that doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds like a lot of risk and issues for such expensive boots. Maybe i should just stick to my $300 Cabela's Meindls that never shrunk and never even needed a break in period. hmmmmm.
    i got them soaked on my last hunt of the season, they dried in the off season. They shrunk more than I was able to stretch/rebreak in when August came around. Wet leather shrinks when it dries, makes sense to me. But yeah, expensive, the break in for me was long, I would look at something else.