Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Where are all the grouse?

Re: Where are all the grouse?

I got my limit last weekend, one of them was a big blue grouse, a first for me, I was in region 3.

I see more deer than grouse where I go in western areas of 8......

Grouse everywhere in the PG area where we were moose hunting. See at least a dozen a day.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
    You are correct and june is very important. Dry June equals chick survival which equals a good fall. June was not that good in a lot of areas this year.
    Summer was pretty humid all the way throughout and then we went into a very humid september. I was catching baby rabbits by hand on the farm and noticed a lot of them had parasitic fly larvae that correlate to high-humidity... Possible that humidity elevates avian parasites/disease conditions?

I am seeing more birds in my Region 2 spots the last couple of weeks... 7 or so just driving to and from my deer spot. I guess with the weather turning they are feeding more aggressively (mushrooms?) and filling their crops with pebbles from the roads. I whacked one on my way to camp on Friday to have with dinner. Oddly I have been seeing more during early to mid afternoon in pouring rain than morning and evening or during sunny breaks.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-18-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by samwyse View Post
    Summer was pretty humid all the way throughout and then we went into a very humid september. I was catching baby rabbits by hand on the farm and noticed a lot of them had parasitic fly larvae that correlate to high-humidity... Possible that humidity elevates avian parasites/disease conditions?
    I have read pneumonia is what kills the cheepers off. I am not a microbiologist, but I am guessing the cause is bacterial or fungal in nature coupled with lowered immune function. Still a lot more birds out now than I would have thought by judging the spring/summer numbers. Hopefully I'll run into more this weekend.

I've seen more grouse than deer this year in 3 and 8. Passed on a lot of them because I was over gunned. Don't think it's reasonable to take a grouse with a 30-06.

There were so many grouse this year, I stopped shooting them. we ate grouse every night for a week. got tired of them. too much of a good thing!
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts