Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the grouse?

Re: Where are all the grouse?

After the latest grouse threads, I'm Just making sure everyone is aware of the new grouse tag regulations.....They should be online for 2017 but in 2016 you still need to get them at the Service BC or the gun shops

NEWS RELEASE Draft Version 1.2.1
    2016ENV0106-001715
    Ministry of Environment
    Effective September 1st 2016:
    Due to conservation concerns for the following species and sub-species of grouse, the British Columbia Ministry of Environment, Fish and Wildlife Branch, will initiate a Trial Program in the Fall of 2016 involving the requirement of Hunting License Holders to purchase grouse tags for all species of grouse legally hunted in BC.
    Species of Concern:
    BLUE GROUSE
    (Dendragapus obscurus)
    SOOTY GROUSE
    (Dendragapus fuliginosus)
    DUSKY GROUSE
    (Tetrao Obscurus, Say.)
    SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, Linn.
    [Tympanuchus phasianellus.]
    British Columbians have an important global responsibility to ensure the continued existence of these valuable game birds.
    The road to recovery of BC’s populations, however, is not easy.We need to implement realistic approaches that address the current relationship between grouse sub-species, and land use practices. This in turn must be incorporated into long term plans and activities geared towards conservation and recovery at the landscape level.To achieve this requires the co-operative efforts of provincial governments, ranchers, hunters, First Nations and the range management community.Together,w e must develop and implement ecologically and economically sustainable range management practices that incorporate the needs of this and other grass-land species regardless of political and demographic boundaries.
    Due to the impracticality of requiring tags for strictly the species at risk, the MOE has determined that tags will be required for all species, and the funds collected will go directly to research programs, controlled burns in areas where indicated, and subsidies to Grazing Lease holders to improve food and cover for species at risk,and where necessary, remove their cattle from sensitive areas.
    Preliminary Bag Limits will be as follows:
    (Subject to change at any time. it is your responsibility to check for updates on the MOE website. ANY CHANGES TO THESE FEES AND BAG LIMITS will be posted to http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/ )
    Ruffed Grouse: No seasonal bag limit. Regular Daily and Possession Limits apply.
    Spruce (Franklins): No seasonal bag limit. Regular Daily and Possession Limits apply.
    Blue Grouse (Sub-Species Sooty and Dusky Grouse): 12 per Calendar Year.
    Sharp-Tailed Grouse: 6 per Calendar Year
    Tag Fees will be as follows:
    Ruffed and Spruce grouse: $1.25 per tag.
    Blue grouse (all species): $1.85 per tag.
    Sharp-Tailed grouse: $2.15 per tag.
    All prices subject to GST.
    All proceeds to go to the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund: Upland Gamebird Habitat Enhancement Project.
    Tags will be self-adhesive stickers, which must be affixed to one of the legs of the bird immediately on retrieval, or around one wing if legs have been removed.At least ONE wing must be left attached to the breast, and tagged.
    It is an offense to remove the tag until you are at your normal dwelling place (this will be extended to include hunt camps for this application), meat cutter, or taxidermist.
    Tags will be available in August 2016 at all normal retailers of hunting licenses and tags.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
    You are correct and june is very important. Dry June equals chick survival which equals a good fall. June was not that good in a lot of areas this year.
    In large part due to their food source not (insects) getting a good foothold, weaker birds are more succeptable to any disease. Pneumonia doesn't come from cold wet temperatures, only a virus or bacteria. June was very wet around here aswell yet the birds seem to be in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by dak0ta View Post
    You know guys, all this bragging ain't true unless there's pictures to back them up....
    1 for 6 opening day.

i saw a BIIIG blue grouse on the weekend, only had a spruce tag though.
    i went and got a couple blue grouse tags, i really hope to see a nice blue again, he was big

Holy, what a runaround. I took my grouse to the butchers this weekend. I didn't have a tag, you would have thought it was the end of the world. Butcher called the CO on me. I had to wait there for the CO to show up. He made me surrender my grouse and got a two hour talking to and a warning not to hunt grouse without tags from now on.

In areas I'm hunting I'm seeing a normal number of grouse. Being a trophy hunter, I would only ever buy a tag for a Blue Grouse. I'm not really worried about the meat, but the sooty and dusky's taste just like that, like ashes and dirt. Not worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by gmachine19 View Post
    Pls dont let this be the start of another grouse tag thread...
    x2. That got old last time.

Quote Originally Posted by BowRunner View Post
    x2. That got old last time.
    Yep not sure why some have to try and keep that going

It's tradition.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by J_06 View Post
    1 for 6 opening day.

If thats a gooey its the nicest one Ive ever seen!
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..