Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the grouse?

Re: Where are all the grouse?

The last two years were excellent for grouse in my Region 2 spots. The year prior to that, as well as this year, they seem to be few and far between. It was pretty wet throughout the spring and early summer which might have something to do with it... either that or it's just a normal cycle. I know of one pocket with a half dozen or so, but it's in one of my deer spots so they get a pass, at least until I get frusterated.

Darn shame though as I bought a new 12ga just so I could hunt BT's and grouse with the same gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    I had to buy mine from a homeless man in an alley because Island Outfitters claimed they didn't receive any this year. I say they're just hoarding them for their employees.
    I think the travel agencies bought them all up along with the provincial campsites, so now you need to buy a flight, rent an RV to get the campsite and grouse tag. I had to fly out to Toronto, just to fly back to YVR, stay in a hotel for a night, rent an RV and boat and they threw in the campsite and grouse tag.

Im seeing a ton this year.. Saw a bunch in the EK over the weekend and over a dozen the weekend before in the cariboo

Last year was one of the best grouse years in a long time. Hard to believe the carry over isn't very good. Having said that, I think I've only seen 2 in the last two weeks.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I saw half a dozen in Region 3 one morning.

Was out twice so far. One morning, one evening. Morning hunt with my son we saw 7 ruffies, the young lad managed to get just one. Evening hunt, not a single bird. Sure did see a lot of hares though.
    Twist and pull.

Quite a few out in region 3, lots of food still around for them.

Had no luck in 3-31, we were out in our usual spots typically 3 guys limited out easy each morning and would still see more last year. This year only saw 2 in two days. Last year was the best year in a long while, but even the bad years produced in these spots. Wet winter I think didn't help. Tons of food out, seen the usual deer and almost had a bear.

3-19 has been good. There was quite a few leading up to this weekend. We see a bunch everytime we were busting through bush to find hares. Plenty of both.

Only put in 45 minutes Saturday around 4:30 to break up the monotony of glassing for hours on end. Managed to bink three. Heard some more flush, never saw them. Had a couple flush and watched them head off to a land far far away. Or at least further than I was willing to pursue them.

After seeing one buzz by at quite the speed I googled it and sure enough, they can flush up to 150 yards and with some speed. I am used to the flush 10 yards and stare at us move.

Kids love that one. "It flew right there! What is it thinking?" After I have to show them where over half them are in a tree. I explain what it is thinking is it hard to find in a tree and hoping we'll move along. "But is is right there!" again after I have shown them.

Can't wait until they have to find them and shoot them themselves. I am going to sit back and say now who is the fool? You or the bird?

Both the kids and I learn something every time we go out. Luckily for them they are started this at 8 and 9. Not 38 like me.

I'm not seeing as many as last year but I'm seeing em...