Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Warnniklz Hunting 2016

Re: Warnniklz Hunting 2016

Hey good writeup man, I'm still looking for my first bow kill myself as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Timbow View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed it.

How would you rate this past deer season to others? Did you find the lack of snow have any effect on your deer hunting areas?
    The other thing I was thinking was the LEH system. I'm not saying the big bucks(190"class) aren't around. I've seen them in my headlights. But there's doe draws in November. I'm not against doe draws. But I think you'd have a lot less pressure if you got rid of the November doe draws and moved them to a youth/senior season in September.

That's just me with no biological expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    The other thing I was thinking was the LEH system. I'm not saying the big bucks(190"class) aren't around. I've seen them in my headlights. But there's doe draws in November. I'm not against doe draws. But I think you'd have a lot less pressure if you got rid of the November doe draws and moved them to a youth/senior season in September.

Makes sense, as the Does seem pretty spooky in November.
    Later they seem to settle down, which also helps the opportunity to get in closer if there is a buck around

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Makes sense, as the Does seem pretty spooky in November.
    Later they seem to settle down, which also helps the opportunity to get in closer if there is a buck around
    I figure if you got rid of the November doe draws, you'd only have the serious big buck hunters. I know I'm being a little selfish, but whatever.

If a guy has to drive 4 hours to the spot and has a doe draw, he'll still be out shooting up the country side during the rut closure. He'll probably also stay longer than if he only came for 4 point season. They have the rut closure to take pressure off, yet the ladies are still getting whacked.

I figure if you got rid of the November doe draws, you'd only have the serious big buck hunters. I know I'm being a little selfish, but whatever.

If a guy has to drive 4 hours to the spot and has a doe draw, he'll still be out shooting up the country side during the rut closure. He'll probably also stay longer than if he only came for 4 point season. They have the rut closure to take pressure off, yet the ladies are still getting whacked.
    In all honesty, I have felt the same way.
    Yes, it's selfish I suppose, but, I always wondered why hunting Does into the month of November was needed.
    Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with Doe tags/hunting etc and those that hunt them, but, if you aren't able to take a doe in October, either
    you need to work on your hunting skills or you need to find another spot.

I have always wondered if there were no "any buck and doe season" at all, would the chances of seeing the big boys increase...reason being....
    Most of the deer wouldn't be skittish or spooked at all, thus, maybe leaving the big boys more open to be stuck with a doe/s that are "habituated" and not spooked
    by hunters.
    Just me thinking about the scenario if that was the case, but, by no means am I asking it to happen.
    I know all classes of deer need harvesting etc.

It's just after a full month of "any buck" in October along with "Doe LEH", the deer are pretty "alert" so to speak.
    By the end of November, these same Does and little bucks are pretty relaxed.
    Heck, this year we had repeated Does bedding down only several yards from us! (end of Nov)
    And the little bucks would walk parallel with us as they kept on feeding.
    Something that we have experienced in the hunting party for the past several years....kinda fun and fascinating.

Enjoyed the pics and write up.Hunted Meldrum late Oct & late Nov and found the deer almost non-existant late November.Holed up in the thick stuff.Looking forward to you ice fishing pics . Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    Enjoyed the pics and write up.Hunted Meldrum late Oct & late Nov and found the deer almost non-existant late November.Holed up in the thick stuff.Looking forward to you ice fishing pics . Mark
    Meldrum is a tough hunt now. Not as much access as there once was. Seen the biggest two point ever in there. Also the biggest deer hunt (gross 192")I've been a part of was out of there.

Having a muley doe GOS, even limited like that, has a high risk of overharvest imo, they do not respond to pressure well like whitetail..and in September they haven't yet had time to adjust to hunting pressure of people driving around etc..

Happy 30th Warnniklz.No ice fishing pics yet?Cheers Mark