Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Air gun for hunting grouse?

Re: Air gun for hunting grouse?

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Really? How is it legal kodiak?
    I thought it was one of thoes " if it's not listed it isn't legal " things.

You have that backwards. If it's not specifically specified as illegal, in the ACT, not in the pretty little summary booklet (the synopsis) then it is legal. If you read the actual legislation, you see very clearly what is legal and what isn't legal.

You won't find spear hunting listed in the synopsis, but it is definitely legal as it isn't specifically listed as illegal.

now, using a pellet pistol for hunting grouse, that is illegal in BC, as is specifically stated as such. Not illegal in Alberta though.

Thanks Kodiak, that would explain it to me.

Some amazing info here. Appreciate it folks!

Seems that an AIR RIFLE would be legal, while an AIR PISTOL isn't due to:

"Also note that it is an offence to hunt with a firearm that is designed to be shot with one hand (i.e. a hand gun), regardless of the caliber."

An air pistol is what I was hoping to use, as it is so light and easy to carry.

Oh well.

So perhaps I should pose another question:

I am a guy who typically drives up the mountain in the morning, parks and hikes out to spots I think look decent for deer (often totally incorrect but hey, I'm a newb and how else to learn?), hunts on foot all day and then hikes back to my truck and drives to camp at the end of the day. Currently I only carry a 30-06 with me. Would anyone recommend carrying a second firearm to pick up grouse on the way? If so, any recommendations on the firearm?

I ask because the bloody grouse are so tempting, often I can get to near kicking distance! If I bagged one, I'd finally have some meat I harvested myself. Have to admit that last year I was bloody tempted to pull the trigger on the 30-06 when I lined one up. lol

Slingshot!
    or one of those little kids .22s. Badger or rascal or chipmunk...whatever they're called. With .22 shorts so yer not scarin' the big critters away so much!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Or a Chiappa Double Badger...nice little folding 22 over 410. Picked one up this summer at CT...haven't even had a chance to fire it yet, but seems ideal for that. Even if you are tacking on a bunch of extra weight.

Hahaha I love the idea of a slingshot. Haven't used one of those since I was 12...

Do you guys carry two rifles? Do you just strap one to your pack?

I carried a Barnett Diablo with steel shot for years when I worked predominantly in the bush. A steel bearing will punch through a grouse inside 15 yards if you hit them going with the feathers. It's incredibly similar to instinctive archery, and with practice it is possible to get spooky good with a slingshot.

A pair of mountain roosters on a sheep hunt. One of them shot on the wing. (How's that for sporting??)

That said, when I'm calling elk, I carry the boy's TC Hotshot. A hair over 2lbs, and a pocket full of 22 shorts will round out a bag limit of ruffies pretty easily, with not much more sound than a single clap.
    Last edited by KodiakHntr; 09-08-2016 at 03:52 PM.

For the 30-06 I've seen stainless adapters to shoot 32 Auto ammo (they work great).

A few of my buddies are using Hammond Game Getters in various calibers also and are pleased with them.

Both are better options for a hunter on the move than packing a second firearm up the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by lostmind View Post
    Some amazing info here. Appreciate it folks!

Seems that an AIR RIFLE would be legal, while an AIR PISTOL isn't due to:

"Also note that it is an offence to hunt with a firearm that is designed to be shot with one hand (i.e. a hand gun), regardless of the caliber."

An air pistol is what I was hoping to use, as it is so light and easy to carry.

Oh well.

So perhaps I should pose another question:

I am a guy who typically drives up the mountain in the morning, parks and hikes out to spots I think look decent for deer (often totally incorrect but hey, I'm a newb and how else to learn?), hunts on foot all day and then hikes back to my truck and drives to camp at the end of the day. Currently I only carry a 30-06 with me. Would anyone recommend carrying a second firearm to pick up grouse on the way? If so, any recommendations on the firearm?

I ask because the bloody grouse are so tempting, often I can get to near kicking distance! If I bagged one, I'd finally have some meat I harvested myself. Have to admit that last year I was bloody tempted to pull the trigger on the 30-06 when I lined one up. lol
    Last edited by StoneChaser; 09-09-2016 at 07:33 AM.
    As long as there's carbon in the air, there's hope!

Use a sling shot with marbles. Or steel shot.

isn't 32 Auto prohib?
    I have seen those adapters here before in multiple Chamberings,,,, how do they work? not hard on the barrel?